Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Price of fish...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
McP
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.03.04(Sun)10:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete: I think I understand what you're saying. That neons are neons regardless of where they come from? This may be true in some places currently, but IME different suppliers already have different quality stock and are being rewarded with premiums. IIRC in Winnipeg there are 2 different wholesalers for fish and one of these brings in better quality fish, but in the end you pay more for them. The other brings in the fish for cheaper and the fish pay for that...

While a fish will always be a fish in a shop even with health issues aside(and I think those are big issues) not all fish are created equally. One guy using hormones and inbreeding because it costs less will have inferior fish to someone else who relies on proper husbandry and is introducing fresh genes to the pool. Same fish yes, but definately not of the same quality of fish IMO.

What if paying extra was an option for people who wanted to ensure that their fish have been collected and kept in proper conditions? A freshwater version of the Marine Aquarium Council. MAC certified fish cost extra but I would try to find a place that sold them if I was going into SW.

Marcos I like that variation to the idea. I was thinking that proper husbandry would be a product of shops raising prices, but prices increasing because of regulations on shops makes a lot of sense too.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Jump to: