Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Vacation Planning
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)4:16    Post subject: Vacation Planning Reply with quote

I have been planning how best to manage my marine system while I go away for a two week vacation in April. I have spent the last six weeks sorting out an auto-feeder and how to reduce evaporation. The feeding is now sorted - twice a day using an Ehiem feeder. I have been watching the nitrate levels and have got the feeder adjusted to deliver the same level of flake as the occupants would normally get without polluting the water.

I researched a couple of auto-top up devices to compensate for evaporation but in the end (based on cost and reliability) got a piece of 6mm clear perspex, machine cut to order, complete with gaps for the auto-feeder, pipes and a reasonable size inspection hatch. There is still a decent amount of light getting through and I figure in the absence of coral etc it will do the job.

The perpex cover has cut the evaporation loss from @4ltrs a week to @.75ltrs a week and I noticed that the salt water readings are at 1024 up from 1023. I reckon that over the two week vacation period the salinity could max out at 1025/1026 which is going to be at the upper limit for the present occupants. I plan to do a 30% water change and filter clean the day before I go and then do the same the day after I get home.

Here is the question - If I spend the next two weeks reducing the salinity down to 1020/1021 and let it stabilize for two weeks will the inevitable increase whilst I am away be gradual enough so as not to cause major problems for the occupants?

I have neighbors coming in twice a week for the furry pets but none of them are willing to do water top up's for me. My LFS has agreed to be contacted in an emergency (ie- if things start floating in a bad way which for me is not a place I want to go) but not for routine maintenance.

Presently I have, in a 20 gallon tank, one:

Mithrax crab
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.03.03(Sat)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two weeks is a long time to leave a marine system alone.
Lowered water levels from evaporation can be a problem, IMO the specific gravity is really not a major concern, but without sounding paranoid--- there are many, many other things that can go wrong; power outage, heater malfunction, clogged filter or prefilter, light bulbs, siphon tubes, pathogens/illness, etc.

In my experience a few days is not a problem, but for a 2 week absence, I would have a fellow marine aquarist or professional aquarium maintenance company come my and check your tank once or twice a week minimum.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: