Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Water parameters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlantis wrote:
OMG how is this possible? I add almost 1 cup of baking soda to 5 gallon of water, the pH didn't change..I put some pH Adjust the pH didn't change...????

try baking the baking soda for about 45-60mins at 300-350 degrees. add baking soda slowly, you can read this article on diy dosing.

hth,

Matt
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not do that to freshly mixed saltwater, the amount needed to raise pH will throw the alkalinity portion way off. You should not be changing the pH on water change water, it has buffers in to that will resist your efforts to alter pH....again...do not do this!!!! Unless you are growing stony corals you should not be altering your water chemistry and if you do not know what you are doing you can cause serious issues in your tank.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.02.28(Wed)15:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify Matt...the purpose of that article is to show how to dose to keep calc, alk and mag in check to replace what stony corals remove...it is not meant to be a method to raise pH. That article in conjunction with RHF's calculater for dosing is meant to be a way to avoid some of the high cost of keeping a stony reef, you cannot take portions of it and use them independantly. You want the calc, alk and mag to remain in balance, dosing w/o keeping the correct balance can cause a tank crash.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
MattTVI
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.03.01(Thu)7:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, it can be used to raise pH if you bake it as it changes the chemical components, I linked the entire article in the hopes it would be read and followed... Smile

there's a calculator link at the bottom that is very helpful for those looking to dose responsibly.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to: