Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
help with setup.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mion
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.06(Tue)17:55    Post subject: help with setup. Reply with quote

I have a 29.5 gallon tank that has been running salt water for just about a year now and I want to spice it up abit. I have been able to maintain a salt counnt between 29-32 pp1. I currently have a sand bed and roughly 25lbs of live rock. the only two fish I have are blue yellow tailed damsels. I want to start putting a wider variety of fish and coral in my tank although I don't know what types I should try. obviously some that are a little hardy until I get more experience under my belt. but what do you all recommend for even more "gadgets" to buy? I don't have anything other than a filter! and its an AquaClear 70! Thing works great I think! and my tank manages to stay between 73 and 75F.I don't know how to put a picture of my tank on here...but it is always clear and I have multiple tests that I do on it every week,but again I don't know how to even raise or lower any of the elements. if anyone has any comments or even knows a few books I should pick up about saltwater that will help me out I would apprectiate it. I love fish and I am a quick learner. I have winging it for the last year and doing good, no deaths! but I just want to actually know what I'm doing besides guessing. like when my water evaporates, how do I know how much of a mixture I should add to top it off?...I just "guestimate" anyways.thanks and I look forward to your replies!
fish on!
-mion.
wittd
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.06(Tue)19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing for sure as far as what measurements to shoot for and how much product to get them there, read this. Your temperature definately looks a little low. As far as top offs go, the salt doesn't evaporate, so only use fresh water. The more often you top off, the less change you will experience in salinity. As far as gadgets, I am a big fan of protien skimmers, powerheads, and live rock for filtration. A little mechanical doesn't hurt, but it shouldn't be your primary means of filtration if you want to keep corals. I would also suggest getting rid of the damsels if you want to do anything else with the tank.
Other than that, start your reading with the stickies at the top of all three saltwater forms on this site and expand your reasearch from there. Keep the questions coming, and always find the answers before you act with saltwater.
FloridaBoy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.02.06(Tue)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/books/e_fenner1.php
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: