Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Rate my first tropical tank
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Chris SA
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)8:26    Post subject: Rate my first tropical tank Reply with quote

This is my first attempt at a tropical aquarium.
Its a custom tank I built myself
Height 60cm, Length 40cm, width 30cm. Filtration - U.G
The two rocks (natural slate stone) I found in my girlfriends garden.

Fish - x2 halfblack angels and a Spotted Plec.
Does anyone have suggestions for the tank??

Click on Picture to enlarge.
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks nice Chris. I think if it were my tank, I would lay one of the rocks horizontally, maybe get a carpet type plant like Glossostigma elatinoides or Marsilea in the front.
Chris SA
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)12:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, getting some plants in the front of the tank is a good idea, I am not sure the pet shops around where I live would have the plants you mentioned, but maybe they can order from somewhere.
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should try tilting one of the rocks a little towards the other rock. In my Japanese gardening book this is said to give more "power" to the arrangement. I'd recommend doing it with the taller one. See if you can make the gravel slope more towards the back of the tank. This will give you depth. The only other thing I would suggest is maybe moving the plants more to one side so they're not dead center.

A carpet plant would look good, but you have to have a lot of light and CO2 for most of them. Maybe you could do something with moss if you don't have those two things? You can use java moss or Christmas moss, weigh it down, and it will spread over the gravel.

Good job so far. The tweaking is what seems to take the most time. If you're like me when I'm doing things I'm just never satisfied. I always think I can make it better. Laughing
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's beautiful! I'm in a minority around here Wink but I really like the clean look of the gravel, especially that really nice black gravel.
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the tank. I'm just a self-admitted tweaker. I'm always trying to make things better and I'm 10x more critical of my own work than I am of other's. Sometimes I think I obsess over things that nobody else will even notice, but if I know it's there it's got to be tweaked Laughing
underOATH87
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.B. wrote:
It looks nice Chris. I think if it were my tank, I would lay one of the rocks horizontally, maybe get a carpet type plant like Glossostigma elatinoides or Marsilea in the front.

I agree, make it so your fish could swim through a nice opening, if there isn't already one.

Myspace Mobsters Forum: www.mademen.org
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger AIM Address
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angela G. wrote:
ceci9293 wrote:
Oh, it's beautiful! I'm in a minority around here Wink but I really like the clean look of the gravel, especially that really nice black gravel.

Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with the tank. I'm just a self-admitted tweaker. I'm always trying to make things better and I'm 10x more critical of my own work than I am of other's. Sometimes I think I obsess over things that nobody else will even notice, but if I know it's there it's got to be tweaked Laughing

No, I didn't mean it was perfect! Constructive criticism is the best thing in the world. Smile I just meant I'm not as big a fan of carpet plants as most are. I like to be able to see the gravel!
bawigga
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of plant is that in there now? Looks good so far!
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.02.01(Thu)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No, I didn't mean it was perfect! Constructive criticism is the best thing in the world. Smile I just meant I'm not as big a fan of carpet plants as most are. I like to be able to see the gravel!

Oh I know what you mean. Certain arrangements look better with some open gravel. It depends on the look you're going for. If you're trying to create the illusion of an open grassy plain then you don't want gravel showing, but if it's a rock garden then you would probably want some gravel visable.
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: