Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Almost given a job- what to do?
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)22:56    Post subject: Almost given a job- what to do? Reply with quote

I was walking around an LFS today, where I picked up a pair of freshwater clams, when I got in a little conversation with an employee. He told me it sounded like I knew a fair amount about fish, so he suggested I apply for a part-time job there. He pointed me out to the owner or manager (not sure which) and the guy asked me to bring in my resume!

I was pretty much handed a job by the looks of it. I wasn't even in there to apply! Very Happy

Just to add to it, I called a good family friend and asked if I could include him as a personal reference on my resume, and he said it would be fine- in fact, he knew the owner! How lucky am I?

I got home, pulled up my resume on my computer and revised it a bit. I want to make it fish (and other pet)-friendly, so I need to know what to include. I don't want to sound braggy, and I don't want to sound stupid either, so what should I put?

I've got the main resume down, but I don't know what else to add for fish and pets.

Any suggestions anyone?

(You can probably tell it's my first out-of-family job)

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Yay!
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)23:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell them you've managed to post 2500 messages on the Aquahobby.com forum without getting banned. Should be enough... Laughing

Seriously, it's a bit hard to advise without seeing your actual resum

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, my daily post count is down from about 11 a day, to 6 now. I'll never beat Huntress's post count. Laughing Here's the passage that doesn't include any personal info on anyone involved in the article:

Quote:
I mainly specialize in aquatic plants, the breeding of freshwater invertebrates, and the keeping of freshwater fish, although I have some limited experience with saltwater creatures. I also have an extensive knowledge of the Nitrogen Cycle (cycling aquariums) and suitable stocking of aquariums.

I currently grow, raise, and sell Guppies, Red Cherry Shrimps and Feeder Snails, as well as plant clippings, including, Cabomba, Java Moss, Java Fern, Narrow Leaf Ludwigia, and Hygros. I also build and sell Yeast CO2 generators for planted tanks. I have also had a variety of Paludariums, containing different newts and frogs.

I also have a good knowledge of keeping tropical birds.

Current Aquariums:

 55 Gallons: Well Planted Community- 1 German Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi ), 15 Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon innesi), 3 Platys (Xiphophorus maculatus), 5 Harlequin Rasboras (Trigonostigma heteromorpha), 2 Common Brochis
 10 Gallons: Planted Breeder: 2 Breeding Guppy Pairs
 10 Gallons: Guppy Fry Grow-out, Red Cherry Shrimp Breeder, Feeder Snail Breeder

Past Aquariums:

 10 Gallons: 1 German Ram (Mikrogeophagus ramirezi ), 1 Apple Snail (Pomacea bridgesi), 6 Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon innesi)
 32 Gallons: 1 Bolivian Ram (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus), 1 Rubber Lipped Pleco (Chaetostoma cf. thomsoni), 10 Neon Tetras (Paracheirodon innesi), 1 Angel Pterophyllum scalare
 10 Gallon SW Nano invertebrate tank

Birds:

I kept a group of three cockatiels for 8 years and a pair of peach faced lovebirds for approximately 5 years. All were hand tamed.

Other Animals:

I frequently look after family and friends
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The information is good. You may want to substitute some different words for the word "also". For instance you can use "additionally," "furthermore," and "likewise." It's a good idea to mix up words. It can become distracting when the same word pops up too many times.
Maura
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Michael - congratulations!

I think that section looks quite good. The only thing I would add is how long you've kept each aquarium. After all, anybody with money can set up that many tanks. The true measure of your qualifications is your success at maintaining them for extended periods.

If you really want to get technical about it, you could even put a summary of what kind of equipment you are running on each tank... or maybe that would be overkill. Regardless, have that technical information on hand so you can discuss it in the interview if asked.

Best of luck to you!
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how long the tanks have been up, list your fish deaths. If you have a tank up for 5 years with 0 deaths that coud look mighty impressive.
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)19:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I handed in the resume today. The guy sounded happy with it and I think he is going to phone some of the people I listed in there. He sounds more interested in using me as a backup, more on call than anything. No worries though.

Wish me luck!
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.27(Sat)16:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luck! OMG, thats so totally awsome buddy!
PreppyStudMuffin
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.28(Sun)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Mike. Good luck, I soo want to work at a LFS or Petsmart when I'm old enough, 9 more months! Very Happy

10 gallon w/ 3 Guppies, and 23 tiny fry
4 Betta tanks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bluepixie
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.30(Tue)13:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Michael! Getting your first out-of-family job is really exciting. A little nervewracking too because you're not as sure about what to expect, but it's fun. (Can you tell my dad runs a business? I worked for him for years and years and years. Then I got out. Wooo!)

You'll be great.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: