Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Too many fish in my 29 gallon?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)15:46    Post subject: Too many fish in my 29 gallon? Reply with quote

I have two firemouths, 1 oto, 1 kuhli loach, and 2 white clouds in a 29 gallon. I plan on eventually ending up just two mature firemouths in the end.

So will two firemouths be to much for a 29 gallon? Iv heard some of your opinions, but I want to hear them all.

If the bioload is too much, I know I can do more water changes than once a week. I usually do 2 25% water changes a week, and could go up to 3 if I had too.
rmcder
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)6:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

30" tank? Are they a pair or just two fm? I can't see this working either way, but a pair make it more likely than two singles. I would say that you need at least a 36" for a pair, and more for two singles.
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)15:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, this is not OK. Male firemouths can reach seven inches with females at about five and a half. Although your fish might be small now, they will obviously grow too large for your tank in the future. The white clouds (which need to be in groups of atleast six) will quickly become snacks for your growing firemouths. Oto's and loaches like to be in small groups as well. If you keep your tank the same, I can see the future population being only the dominant firemouth, after it grows and mauls the other fish in your tank.

I also read your other thread, and I'm wondering how number6 (Moderator) and Bob on Stronsay's (Advisor) advice could be considered "opinions"? You have been repeatadly told that your tank stocking will not work, and yet you continue to look for some sort of "loop-hole" instead of doing the right thing for your fish. "Swim" a seven inch fish cut out of a piece of paper in front of your tank and try to think that your tank is large enough.

-Jack
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Dempsey11, did I say that I am going to keep them in that tank? No, I was just curious. I'm looking at kribs or bolivian rams for my tank.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

rmcder wrote:
30" tank? Are they a pair or just two fm? I can't see this working either way, but a pair make it more likely than two singles. I would say that you need at least a 36" for a pair, and more for two singles.
very well put!
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)12:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RaiderFan92 said: Jack_Dempsey11, did I say that I am going to keep them in that tank? No, I was just curious. I'm looking at kribs or bolivian rams for my tank.

Um, yes, you did say that you were going to keep the firemouths in your tank:

Quote:
RaiderFan92 said: I plan on eventually ending up just two mature firemouths in the end.

If you are refering to not keeping the loach, oto, and white clouds, I have already explained that this will be more than neccessary. I know for a fact, after reading previous posts in this, and other, threads, that your 29 gallon already has two firemouths, one oto, one loach, and two white clouds.

Quote:
RaiderFan92 said: I have two firemouths, 1 oto, 1 kuhli loach, and 2 white clouds in a 29 gallon.

Adding other fish (kribs or bolivian rams) will only ensure their death at the hands of your stressed, growing firemouths. If you want to hear my "opinion", (while keeping in mind that I have over eleven years experience with fish keeping) here it is:

It is simply not possible to keep (although you can have) two firemouths in a 29 gallon aquarium, no matter the tankmates, filteration, water quality, or any other excuse you can think of. Buy a larger aquarium or take your firemouths back!
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

No no no no, I'm getting rid of the firemouths and adding either kribs OR bolivian rams.
rmcder
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderFan92 wrote:
No no no no, I'm getting rid of the firemouths and adding either kribs OR bolivian rams.

OK, assuming this to be the case, my vote is for rams because they will get along with other fish when they are breeding. Kribs, despite their size, can be really nasty when they're breeding. Small tank means not much room for nasty fish.
Jack_Dempsey11
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)18:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

RaiderFan, your last post simply came accross as rude. You cannot except the members of this forum to be able to predict when you will change your mind about your fish. In your first post you cleary state TWICE that you are planning to keep your firemouths, but in your second post you criticize me for not knowing that you have switched interest to rams/kribs.

I am glad that you have decided to stock your tank with a more size-appropriate fish, but I am not so excited about how you have treated me in the process.

-Jack
CichlidKid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja VU' ?

Raiderfan92: I'm a little confused about your intentions But if you're trying to put Rams in a 29 I have been told that will be fine. That is, not mixing them with firemouths or any other medium sized cichlids. I am planning on stocking my 30 gallon with 1 male Blue Ram and 2 females. I have a small school of emperor tetras that will be in there too, and lots of plants. I am not interested in breeding but thought they'd show better color if they were mixed instead of 2 males (they might fight?). Keep in mind tho that rams are picky about their water parameters so we have to keep on top o' that for sure.

What are you planning on doing with the Firemouth cichlids you already have?

Good Luck!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: