Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Build up in External filter pipes
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
hilly81
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)8:40    Post subject: Build up in External filter pipes Reply with quote

I installed a ehiem ecco external filter about 6 weeks ago in my juwel vision 180 to run alongside the internal filter that comes with the tankk. I recently noticed a buildup of b black and white substance in the inlet and outlet pipes and was wondering if anyone could shed any light on what it is? Filter appears to be working fine and all water perameters are OK.

Man! Thanks.
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)9:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might just be dirt that gets stuck inside the pipes. They won't stay perfectly clean forever.
If you notice that it's starting to block the intake of the filter then maybe clean the pipes out.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)9:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get a build up of "gunge" in the filter pipes (One of the reasons water companies put Chlorine in our supply pipes). It will be bacteria, general dirt etc.

It may look bad, but I would guess it would take a few years before it caused the filters output to slow.

The way to deal with it, is to use some kind of "Pull or push through" cleaner.

This could be a bought from a shop tool (I am sure someone makes one), or you could make something yourself, a lead or small heavy weight, tide to some string, tied to a bottle cleaner etc.

Atternativly you could buy new plastic piping once in a while, it's not expensive when bought in bulk.

I just did a quick web search and it looks like there are plenty of "hose, flexible cleaning brushes" about.

Bob
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, you need something similar to what you clean the barrel of a rifle with.

Long string with weight on one end and a sponge or something on the other.
Drop the weight in the pipe and when it gets to the other end you can pull the sponge through the pipe to wipe the slime off it.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: