Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Days Without Power. Again!!!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.04(Mon)22:30    Post subject: Days Without Power. Again!!! Reply with quote

The first time I went woithout power was in the summer when a big storm knocked out St. Louisians power for 4 days. All my fish survived they blazzing temperatures in the water that got to upper 80's (outside the humidity made it in upper 90's to 100).

NOw I just got power back from a winter strom that knocked out my power for 3 day. the first day, Friday (school was called) I kept the tank warm by adding warm water. Then I left that night and didn't return till Sunday night. (I didn't know I was going to be gone that long) So there wasn't anything I could do to help my fishes, except pray for the power to return in time. When I returned I found that 13 out of 15 fish had died, all that died were Neon Tatras and Harliquin Roabaras. One of my two platies was clinging to life, and the other one seemed alright. The water temperature was 39 F!!! THATS 7 DEGRESS ABOVE FREEZING!!! When I had my hand in there cleaning out the bodies I was shivering and it was like burning my arm it was so cold.My four ghost shrimp were moving about, but very ultra slowly. I added a little hot water, but to no effect, now they water is normalt temperature, but my platies are very shy. My ghost shrimp are completely normal, in fact one has a BUNCH of eggs.

On top of all this I have to move my tank from my mom's house to my dad's house this week because she is moving, I am keeping them over their till my mom can settle in. Then me & my fish will move back over to our new house. So after living through heat and EXTREME cold I concluded that platies, and ghost shrimp are EXTRMELY tough animals!!!!!

P.S. I know 3 other friends with fish. 2 friends with gold fish, who now both have power and all fish survived. And 1 friend with a pirannah, he still doesn't have power & says his water is turning into ice, but his fish is still alive!
JustinD
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few things to think of when this happens. First, you need something as a backup to oxygenate the water, then, unless you have goldfish, a backup to keep the water's temperature stable. Notice I used the word "stable". Fish can take a hit in temperature, or decline in temperature, generally speaking, but slowly. Increasing the temperature, and lowering it quickly can stress them, and introduce disease.

I recommend a couple battery powered air pumps, plenty of batteries, and for the heaters, and larger tanks which require more oxygen, a gas powered generator, and a long extension cord.

Remember, they're relying on you to duplicate their natural surroundings, only in an artificial way. You need electricity for this.
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make backup generators and they might even sell them at your lfs. If things like this happen so often to your fish you should definetly consider getting one!
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)18:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me as well, but the temperature must have dropped quite fast in Scotland as the power was off for 1 and a half hours and I lost a Discus. Crying or Very sad The best thing to do is to wrap whatever you can around the tank, and try and put in small amounts of hot water. My Gran and Grandad had their power out for 4 days, and they use a power generator, which is powered by diesel. I don't know how much one of these cost, but I could get a price if you wanted. You also have my thoughts as over your dead fish. But man, 39F is severe, I'm amazed you Platies and Ghost Shrimp survived!

Blair
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest using a UPS battery back up. You can get these at most computer stores, they might cost a bit ($100+) but they can give power to your tank. I wouldn't want to run lights and all just filter and heater.
turk359
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was reading this article I thought to myself I wonder what would happen if I lost power and iif a UPS would work??

Then I saw the last post.....does anyone use a UPS on their fishtank? If so how do you create the drip loop?
Droobles
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)10:55    Post subject: UPS usage Reply with quote

I use a UPS from Belkin http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=153777

It was a huge help when I move house and every so often we get the odd power cut. There are 4 plug sockets at the back, 3 of them are battery backup.

I run my internal filter, external filter, and aerator of these sockets.

I am thinking of getting another one, so I could run the ups of a ups. I have never done that, but it must be possible.

On the site, it says it has upto 100 minutes backup, but this caould obviously extended by turning it on and off at regular intervals.
ABryce
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.19(Fri)8:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

To create a drip loop for the UPS I used the lowtech effect of placing the UPS on a small box, the cord from the power bar was long enough to drop to the ground and loop back up to the UPS.
Lord Steve0
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.22(Mon)3:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got miles of that bubble wrap stuff that I keep in case I get a power cut. It helps to insulate the tank a fair bit but even with that I would not want to loose power in winter!

My biggest problem is that currently we have no hot water and have been without any for 2 weeks!!!!!
I can't do any water changes without using a kettle to boil water first! What a nightmare!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: