Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fish Loss Puzzle
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
encipher
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.27(Wed)19:37    Post subject: Fish Loss Puzzle Reply with quote

Warning: LONG POST

Okay, I've noticed that over the last few months, I've lost more fish than I have the rest of the year combined. I have five tanks upstairs and have lost a few fish from each tank over weeks (so no mass die offs from contaminated water or anything).

55 gallon
10 Rosey Barbs (5 adults; 5 juvies)
4 Yellow Labs (2 m, 2 f)
5 Turquoise Rainbows
2 yo-yo loaches (1m, 1 f)
1 Pink kissing gourami

pH: 7.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: >5

Argonite/moon rock black sand with lace rock and large java ferns.
Fluval Canister 404 and whisper 20 internal

29 gallon
10 cories
5 tetras (m)
2 keyhole cichlids (m)
2 female bettas

Playsand and driftwood that is lightly planted with polished pebbles.
Aquaclear 30 with sponge

20 Long
2 paradise fish (1m, 1f)
1 black neon
3 rams (m)

Moderately planted (java moss/crypts) with driftwood
Whisper 30

pH: 7.6
Nitrate: 0

10 gallon #1

Betta
2 threadfin rainbows
2 cherry barbs
3 or 4 ottos

pH: 6.8

Heavily planted with driftwood
Sponge filter

10 gallon #2
Betta
random "feeder" guppies- generation ?

Not planted
Whisper 10

I also have a 80 gallon downstairs that I've not lost any fish at all.

Sometimes they have symptoms before they die, sometimes they just disappear, sometimes they just go belly up. I've tried and failed to treat the illnesses I saw Confused I currently have a rosey barb and the male paradise not looking so hot right now.

I do 25% water changes every week in every tank. The tanks all have heaters which are set (and checked) at 78-82 F, so there's not temperature shock. I wondered if it was a water problem, but my 75 and bettas downstairs are just fine. I use prime as my water conditioner, but wonder if this bottle might be tainted? Would that kill fish or make them sick slowly? I use the same "aquarium" bucket for water changes on all tanks and the same filter media and the same food and same gravel vac (upstairs). Could it be something in the air in my room? I have rats, a lizard, and a canary in the same room, but they have been in there the whole time?

So far I've lost:

2 brillant rasboras (1 year old)
1 paradise gourami (2 years old; born in my backyard)
4 rosey barbs (2 "adopties", 1 year old, 1 juvie)
4 marble hatchets (3 months)
3 blue gouramis (6+ years adopties)
1 keyhole (1.5 years)
2 threadfins (~2 years old)
3 platys (6 months)
1 black molly (adoptie)
1 yellow lab (6 months)
1 demasoni (1.5 years)
2 black phantom tetras (1.5 years)
3 rosey tipped tetras (3 months)
1 spotted cory (3 months)
and 1 MIA botia modesta (but he may be hiding)

Any ideas?
encipher
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)12:13    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hmm, well, I'm still losing fish, although not as rapidly as before. I bought a new container of prime and I bought new fish food (tossed the old stuff out) and I also changed the buckets/siphon/nets-- anything the tanks have in common. I've also been adding a bit of aquarium salt to my tanks (except the 20 long and the planted 10).

Retested the water:

55 gallon
8 Rosey Barbs (3 adults; 5 juvies)
3 Yellow Labs (1 m, 2 f)
5 Turquoise Rainbows
2 yo-yo loaches (1m, 1 f)
1 Pink kissing gourami

pH: 7.8

Argonite/moon rock black sand with lace rock and large java ferns.
Fluval Canister 404 and whisper 20 internal

29 gallon
10 cories
4 tetras
1 keyhole cichlid
2 female bettas

Playsand and driftwood that is lightly planted with polished pebbles.
Aquaclear 30 with sponge

20 Long
1 paradise fish
2 rams

Moderately planted (java moss/crypts) with driftwood
Whisper 30

10 gallon #1

Betta
1 threadfin rainbow
2 cherry barbs
3 or 4 ottos

pH: 6.8

Heavily planted with driftwood
Sponge filter

10 gallon #2
Betta
random "feeder" guppies- generation ?

Not planted
Whisper 10

And for the heck of it, I tested my downstairs tank:

Nitrate: 5

I was talking about it with my manager and he suggested that it could be something in the air? Maybe a mold or fungus growing in the walls or something affecting the tanks? Maybe that's what is making my rats sneeze too Mad

Is this possible? Please help, I would like to stop losing fish and I can't restock until I figure out the problem.
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry for the unrelated question but how do you tell if yoyo loaches are male or female? and are there eggs clear?
encipher
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

andiesch: I don't know if this holds true for all of them, but my female is HUGE. Length-wise she's 6" (compared to the "male" who is only 4"). Also, she "bloats up", which I'm assuming means she's gravid because she returns to normal. I'm simply assuming the smaller one is male because it's much more streamline and they act like they're wanting to breed on occasion. As far as I know, loaches aren't very easy to breed in the home aquarium, and I've never seen mine lay eggs. So, short of venting or seeing them breed, I'm going by broad characterisitcs and making an educated guess.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)14:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was talking about it with my manager and he suggested that it could be something in the air? Maybe a mold or fungus growing in the walls or something affecting the tanks? Maybe that's what is making my rats sneeze too

What is the enviroment these tanks are in, I take it they aren't in your home etc?

Bob
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks encipher.. I have one that bloats up too but both are the same size.. I guess only time will tell.. thanks again!
encipher
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob on Stronsay: They are in my home; in my room actually. I live in a two story condo. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of the set up, but maybe I can describe it:

Wall #1: I have a 55 on a stand, a 5 foot rat cage, and then my dresser with a 10 gallon on top
Wall #2: I have a 29 gallon on a double tier stand with a ten on bottom and a 20 long next to it, door
Wall #3: closets
Wall #4: west facing window, my bed, my canary's cage, and my lizard's tank

It's winter in Kansas, USA right now, so the house is set at 68F degrees, although it's a little warmer upstairs at around 70 degrees. I hadn't had any problems before this fall and these tanks have all been set up for over a year (the 29 and 10 have been set up for almost 3 years).

andiesch: no problem.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)17:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use any kind of flea or pest spray on your animals, or fly spray in the room, it's a long shot, but there have been cases of fish affected by fly spray etc?

Bob
encipher
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)21:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob on Stronsay: I did consider that. No, I clean the rat cage with a vinegar solution and only use bleach on the shelves in the bathroom before spraying them off in the tub. I try not to use any chemicals at all in the room because all my animals are pretty sensative to airborne chemicals. However, the fish symptoms do almost seem like chronic poisoning, which would explain the slow die-off, possibly.

The reason I think it could be mold/fungus is because my fluval busted awhile back and flooded the floor with roughly 10 gallons of fish water. I did pull up the carpet, use fans, and eventually clean the carpet, but I wonder if the stuff is still growing under there? Especially given the temperature and the fact that I can't open the window. Confused I hope that's not the case, but there isn't much else in the room. I really only sleep in there, lol, and keep my animals tidy.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: