Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Snails Eating Snails???
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)17:33    Post subject: Snails Eating Snails??? Reply with quote

I am planning on getting MTS and 1 apple snail, I'm waiting for them to arrive. Now would an apple snail poosible eat MTS? Or would any snails eant any snail? Basicaly I'm asking if apple or any other snails are carniverous.
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)14:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

taken from www.applesnail.net (copyright)

Besides vegetables and fish food pellets, apple snails also eat all kinds of other food if available. Apple snails won't refuse brine shrimps and other frozen foods or even dead fish and insects. Even other snails can appear on the menu of an apple snail (this has been reported for Pomacea canaliculata and Marisa cornuarietis).

I myself have Pomacea Bridgesii (looks like Pomacea Canaliculate, but doesn't eat plants - important detail for a planted tank). I once found 1 empty pond snail shell, but can't tell who ate the snail. I don't have snail-eating fish like loaches and botias.

But in my opinion, I don't think apple snails will eat MTS. Just keep in mind that MTS are very good and fast breeders... overpopulation might occur and you won't be able to use a snaileating fish to fix it Wink
Liveinabox419
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

But can't you control their breeding by controling their feeding?
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liveinabox419 wrote:
But can't you control their breeding by controling their feeding?
You can to an extent. They will still breed, but will breed much less if there isnt a surplus of extra food.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: