Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
empty tank cleaning
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)17:53    Post subject: empty tank cleaning Reply with quote

I have a spare 10 or 20 (I can't rememberwhich but I'm leaning towards belief that this is a 20) gallon tank. It housed firebelly toads about a year and a half ago. I got terribly tired of constantly going out to the town to get crickets and took them to the lfs and gave them up after a few months.

There's still some synethetic dirt in it, I never emptied it but just placed it in the utility room with a ton of other junk. Now, looking at it, I am wondering if it can be cleaned or if it should be thrown out. Firebellies secrete toxins. I know I can't soap and water the tank because it could hurt potential fish. I want to use this spare tank as either a hospital tank or a betta tank instead of putting a betta in this huuuuge 75 gal.

In the opinions of people who have kept tanks and cleaned them much longer than me, is this tank due for the dumpster or can it be salvaged throughs ome thorough bleaching, dechlorinating, and hot watering. I've heard that this is a useable technique (using 1/20 bleach water to soak, then rinsing, then using dechorinator).
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

on another subject I am using 2 30-60 gallon tetracare whisper filters

and one is not whispering.

they were both completely fine until las tnight when I unplugged one and shifted it to loosen a plant bulb that had attached to its intake screen. The bulb floated harmlessly away to the bottom, but when I restored the clear tube, it was making this loud, whirring vibration sound. I've tried everything in the whisper helpful hints and faqs and tried contacting the company with no success due to the weekend. Has anyone else ever encountered this before?
tommyr
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empty the tank and use vinegar to clean it well. A scrub pad helps too as does a razor blade if needed. Then rinse out REALLY WELL.

Check the silicone seals all around the tank and add if needed.

Tom
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: