Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Changing Filter Cartridge? (Confused!!!)
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)12:14    Post subject: Changing Filter Cartridge? (Confused!!!) Reply with quote

Quote:
Follow manufacturer
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tip: Many filter cartridges can be reused many times. Carbon will lose effectiveness, but it only lasts a short time anyway. Try rinsing the used cartridge well with a strong spray of water if possible. If it comes out pretty clean and is still in good condition, you can reuse it. Shake out excess water, then set it aside to dry. Keep a dry one ready to replace in the filter as if it is "new". Reusing cartridges will save you money. Throw it away when it wears out and replace with new ones.

I don't use filters with "Cartridges", I suppose if they are somehow sealed, and you can't clean them properly, then you would have to replace them eventually.

But with normal filters where you can see and get to the media, there really is no need to replace it until it is falling apart. Even then I would only replace some of it at a time (Cut it in half etc).

All you do is squeeze the foam into a bucket of old tank water a few times to get the worst of the gunge out and away you go. I have used foam filter media for many many years without replacing it.

With other media like ceramics, bio balls etc, again a quick rinse is all that's needed.

If I am using filter wool in front of my other media, I do replace this, but even then it may be after a year or so of rinsing.

It is true that Carbon needs replacing every few weeks, and that is why most of us keep some in a cupboard for "When needed", and replace it with more normal filtration media.

What sort of filter do you have? Is there a web page showing it so I can see the cartridges ?

Bob

PS Filters do contain a very high proportion of the bacteria in a tank, the bacteria like the high surface area that filter media contains, and also the Oxygen rich water flowing past it all the time, but it isn't the only bacteria. It also lives on the glass, substrate, rocks, decor and plants, so even if you had to replace a whole filter, as long as you are not overstocked, you can get away with it. Some of us used to keep fish, before filters were in common use, we just used to keep a lot less fish in a tank.

PPS If money is no problem, buy a better filter Wink
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it!
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)14:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

What make and model so I can look it up ?

Bob
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

These aren't the exact same brand cartridges that I use but they look the same and are filled with activated carbon.

In reply to your above post: It is a Top Fin 10 Power FilterHere is the link http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009YWNTI/ref=olp_product_details/104-2374441-2582305?ie=UTF8&seller=

Thanks!
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't see that sort of filter in the UK, we tend to use internal power filters or external cannisters.

From what I can see it has three cartridges, one for chemical filtration (Carbon), one for fine mechanical filtration (Filter wool), and finally a sponge for biological filtration.

Can you open the cartridges, if so take out the sponge and clean it in old tap water.

If the cartridges are all the same size, take out the carbon one and replace it with an additional sponge.

I am sure some one with more knowlegde of these types of filters will come along soon.

In the meantime I will see if I can get more help Wink

Bob
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure that it has 3 filters. From what I can tell, the water is sucked into the intake tube down into a well where there is an impeller and magnet. The water is then forced through the "cartridge" which is filled with carbon then back out into the tank. The cartridge is basically a bag made out of filter floss/foam with a plastic frame inside it. The frame is removable and you can open the bag and remove the carbon if needed. The outside of the "bag" is what is so scummy looking. I've tried rinsing it in old tank water but my flow is still diminished. By that I mean that the water that is being sucked into the intake tube, then into the well, is actually backing up back into the tank before it can get pushed through the cartridge. I've removed the carbon and that hasn't improved anything. I'm tempted to switch out the cartridge but am unsure about that because I fear another cycle.
Thanks for your help! (And any others who come along) Smile
sirreal63
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)17:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replace it...you won't need to worry about starting the cycle over. I have used Whisper filters for years and never has that worry. The bio-film is not just in the filter media, it is on every surface of the filter, the tank and gravel and any decorations you have. The intake tube will house a very large number of this film. Replace the filter pad but don't clean the rest of the filter.

Most of those filters have a small sponge as the last phase of the filtration that foam will also have the bio-film on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks sirreal. I changed the cartridge last night and noticed an immediate improvement in the filter flow. This morning, everything still seems fine. As for the small sponge that you mentioned, mine doesn't have that. The only foam-like part to my filter is the "cartridge". It's a very cheap filter that came with the tank but it seems to be working fine. My next tank (hopefully a 55 Gallon) will have a much better filter on it. I will do my research BEFORE I buy it! Anyway, I plan to check the water later today and do my usual Sunday water change. Thank you for your help Bob and sirreal. I stress so much over this little tank and it has really been a huge learning process for me. My husband said I can't have a bigger tank until I learn everything I need to know and so far I've learned an awful lot with this little 10 Gallon.

Thank you!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: