Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Snail DOA?
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)0:50    Post subject: Snail DOA? Reply with quote

Tried searching for this but couldn't really turn up any info.

Bought 2 snails at walmart today now that my cycling is all complete. Neither moved all the way home. half an hour after being released into the tank, one finally began to crawl over the gravel and glass. the other hadn't shown a sign of life. I can see the lil barrier in the shell but no sign of him living in it.

It's been about 4 hours now. The other is thriving and all over, but that one shell is still.

How long should I wait before being certain he is dead, fishing him out, and discarding him? Is it normal to take hours for a snail to finally come up and out of it?
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)12:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be just a little "freaked out" over the move. I'd give it at least a day or two. Snails are easily scared and they use that shell as a retreat!
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.20(Sat)14:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I brought home a snail once that didn't move for almost two full days. Then - out she came and was just fine. Your's could be dead - it could be scared and just waiting. I agree with lenoirj - give it some more time.
joitoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.21(Sun)4:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it one more full day.. Tonight I was looking closely at it and there seems to be a sort of near translucent film around the lil entry where the barrier is that blocks view into the shell. I daresay it's died in there and is beginning to .. do whatever snails do when dead.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: