Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
looking for a loach
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)20:42    Post subject: looking for a loach Reply with quote

Hey all
I'm currently looking for a loach. I need him or her for snail duty.
my current tank speck are below. I have a huge amount of malay snails.
I know I know there good for the tank but I have so many of them that they loosen all my forground plants and I'm constantly replanting them causing massive shock. I have a bushy pleco and a freshwater shrimp that I'm concern about with a loach so would any loach do the trick for me? the freshwater shrimp is 1.5 inches so she's a big one but I could always move her to a smaller tank
110 watts power compacts
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend a Weather Loach in your case- they prefer pH 7.0-7.5 and colder water.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a zebra loach before and it was doing a good job of keep the snail down. I had to return him/her since he was chasing my cories and nipping their fins. It did not bother other fish, only fish with the same body shape.
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about the yoyo any experiences?
I'm looking for the smalest most docile loach I can find
110 watts power compacts
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)2:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't get "A Loach" for a snail problem.

Loaches are shoaling fish, they are only happy in groups of at least 5 (The more the merrier).

Yes most Loaches will eat snails, but most snail issues are caused by overfeeding of the fish tank.

Cut back the overfeeding and the population of snails will control itself. This is also healtheir for the fish as it reduces the bio-load on the tank. It is hard to guage how much food should go in a tank, but if you are overrun by snails, it normally means too much food is in the system.

If you like Loaches, by all means keep them, but not by themselves and not just to sort out a snail problem, and if you do get them don't get a species that is too big for your tank (Clown Loaches typically need a 125 gallon tank as a minimum).

Bob

PS Zebra Loaches are great little fish, but as mentioned you need a shoal, other wise they will pester other fish.
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I'm not saying I should get a clown loach. my tank can't support clown loaches since my tanks is only 38 gallons that why I'm asking what loach I SHOULD GET. I have a massive snail populations. malaysain snails are live bearers and don't need males. So the mylaysain can produce a sexualy and produces live young at an amazing speed. So once a populations reaches critical mass the treatments to control them is very limited. the lettuce trick won't work. taking out 10-20 snail a day aignt gonna cut it when you have thousands.
Snail populations with a planted tank needs to be handled carefuly. reducing food in a planted tank won't help much since they have plants and algae to eat. what I need is a fish that can keep them in check while I try the other less effective methods (like controlling food and doing the salt n pepper shaker trick) I'm not going to get a puffer since they like brackish or at least a hard water . Snail control chemicals are out of the question.

so pleaze once again can anyone RECOMMEND what fish would be good for my TANK SIZE!!! and specs
110 watts power compacts
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I misread your post but this is what you said:
Quote:
I'm currently looking for a loach. I need him or her for snail duty.

It gave me the impression you wanted ONE loach.

Any small loaches will do the trick, but get a few of them at least, don't just get one.

Zebra Loaches, Pakistan Loaches, just stay away from the big ones, there are loads listed in the Gallery.

I also have heavily planted tanks (With no Loaches), and although I do have the odd snail, they are never a problem, as they only breed and survive in numbers, when you give them ideal conditions.

We do have one tank with Zebra Loaches and NO snails. But don't expect them to wipe out all of them in a day.

Bob
bobfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)10:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

your right my mistake I didn't mean just one I'm open to getting a few .
your right also about the snails. To be honest I've fought snails before but theses malaysain snails are very different. they are constantly reproducing!!!! I'm kinda jealious lol! but seriously I started a couple month ago to control them but iv'e since noticed that there are millions of them. my substrate is in a constant state of motion. my glosso is alway being up rooted and floating away. I've had a very hard time keeping glosso. But I've finaly got the tank right and they've started to send out runners everywhere but to my horror they just keep floating away. tis the SNAILS!!!!

so I despratly need some backup. I love fish so I wouldnt just be getting a loach for the snails id also be getting them for me. My tank however is close to the limit of fish. this is my current stock.

its a amazon type tank so pH. 6.5 kh3 temp 81 co2 around 32-37

one pair of med size angel fish
6 rummy nose tetra
7 harl rasbora
4 otos
1 SAE
3 juvi rams
1 bushy pleco small guy about 3 inches
1 fresh water shrimp 1.5 inches
AND MILLIONS OF SNAILS!!!!!!!!!![list=][/list]
110 watts power compacts
andiesch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)19:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few yoyos and they eat the snails but are also amazingly fun to watch.weird little things at times, but mine both have tons of personality. they also love to squeeze into small spaces.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: