Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
My planted 120L
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Photo Album  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Senor
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.05(Tue)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

andrenitro wrote:
Senor wrote:
what about a chinese algae eater?

I do not know this fish. It kills my problem with algae?

its like the siamese and it may help with the algae my 2 keep my 50gal tank spotless

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_Gyrinocheilus_aymonieri.php
andrenitro
New Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.11(Mon)5:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi ...

without knowing what to make to control or to kill algae, that they did not stop to increase I had that to take a step that did not please me. I started a treatment today the base of five days of total blackout. I was knowing that without high light and pH algae would go to die. Then I made this. The problem is that the plants too will suffer very with this. But I did not have much choice. If this experience to give certain writes here for all as a form of aid in the same problem.
My cichlid - http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=240150#240150
fzthomas
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.14(Thu)2:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

A few tips to control your algae that worked great for me. They prevent and control algae, they are not a real measure against an alrdy present algae problem.

1. get a timer on your aquarium light and use the following scheme: lights on at 8am till 1pm then out and back on from 3pm till 8pm. This gives your plants a total of 10hours light, which is more than enough (everything more causes algae growth anyway) and you have a 2 hours break which is a real kill for your algae (scientific experiments proved this is the best light scheme to prevent algae boosts).
and because it is the middle of daytime, there will be light in the aquarium from your windows and stuff, so the fish and plants won't be in total darkness for 2 hours.

2. get some shrimps to clean up hair algae and other small algae on the plants. I have 2 amano shrimps and 2 rednose rudolph shrimps and they do a hell of a great job. Constantly eating and searching for little algae on the rocks, wood and plants without harming the plants.

3. get an ancistrus (or a pair depending on the tank size) to clean up algae on the glass, rock and wood. They only grow to about 10cm and do a very good job together with the shrimps. This because shrimps don't clean the glass.

4. get 3 or 4 corydoras aeneus or some apple snails to clean up left over fish food and dead plant matter. Left over fish food and dead plant matter are direct nutritients for algae. When going for the apple snails, make sur to get the Bridgesii variant because this variant does not eat healthy plants. More info on the spieces and their differences can be found on www.applesnail.net. If you choose the funny and active corydoras, make sure to keep them with 3 of more - they need their own kind to be happy.

I myself got 1 ancistrus, 4 shrimps, 3 apple snail bridgesii and 3 albino corydoras. Their activities and my lightning scheme keep the algae in control. To be honest, I never had any real algae issue. Only at the start up in the first week before I added my fish. But once I got them all in the tank, I never had algae problems.

goodluck.
and by the way: don't use chemicals to fight algae.
RaiderFan92
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.14(Thu)7:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whooooooooo! don't be so eager to get a chinese algae eater! Theyre spunky little fish that get a little smaller then a full grown size siamese algae eater, but unlike the siamese algae eater, they get aggresive and when mature, won't eat algae. They just give algae up most of the time, and clean the bottom of your tank for flake scraps. There a great scavanger for tanks with aggresive fish, but not with neons or other tiny fish like that.

But they do have a lot of personality! Very Happy
andrenitro
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to All

After some time without showing evolutions, I very come happy to say that I killed all algae. The aquarium passed for some phases and modifications. The layout and plants had been also modified. Now I am without cam photographic to take off the photos, but tomorrow with certainty I go to bring up to date with photos.

Thank.....
My cichlid - http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=240150#240150
Kit-Kat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

waht is your tank stocked with?
 Forum Index > Photo Album All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: