Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
increasing GH
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)12:50    Post subject: increasing GH Reply with quote

Does anyone here have any solid experience in increasing water hardness (GH) apart from using products like African Cichlid water conditioners, without simultaneously influencing KH or pH values?
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)13:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used calcium sulphate, aka gypsum, and magnesium sulphate, aka epsom salts to raise the GH before. I found 5/8 tsp calsium sulphate in 10 gallons will add 18 ppm Ca, or 2.5 dGH. 1/2 tsp magnesium sulphate in 10 gallons will add 6.3 ppm Mg, or 1.5 dGH. Gypsum is commonly used in beer brewing, epsom salts can be found at any grocery store.

There is this link:http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilator.php, which slightly disagrees with my numbers, but that can easily happen using volume instead of weight.

Mix the powders, in seperate vessels, with just a very small amount of water, then add the slurry to the tank, or water change water.

It's best to not subject fish to sudden changes. A couple degrees hardness a week is all I would feel comfortable with.

Any specific reasons for adding hardness to your water?
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)17:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minsc wrote:
Any specific reasons for adding hardness to your water?

I wish to achieve the most optimal water conditions for my goldfish.

I keep my tank's pH at 7.2 w/ KH at 70-80ppm (3.92-4.48 dH) by adding two doses of baking soda, increasing my KH count by no more than 20ppm (1.12 dH) per 24 hours, following a water change.

My tap water parameters:

pH: 6.4
KH: < 10ppm
gH: < 20ppm

From what I understand, while goldfish will tolerate a very wide range of water hardness, they thrive best in moderately hard water, no? Cranking up my gH will also cut down on the amount of baking soda required to keep the buffering capacity at suitable levels (approximately 80-100ppm).

I would entertain the idea of adding crushed coral to my substrate (bagged in nylon, under the gravel, of course) to raise the gH and KH counts simultaneously, but I have no idea as to how much to add. If I add too much, it'll be an African Cichlid aquarium. Laughing

While the baking soda calculator has been quite helpful up to this point, is there an equally reliable calculator for crushed coral/limestone, etc?

Thank you for your help.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: