Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cory death
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)8:31    Post subject: Cory death Reply with quote

Woke up this morning with my cory laying on its side. He is still breathing but he won't get up not even with me moving him with the net. I'm wondering what caused his death, the water parameters are good, the fish have no visible signs of disease or anything. I have been worrying about their food though, I don't think the other fish let them have any food. Do you think it might have died of starvation? What are some clues to it being this? He a red spot that makes him look like his blushing on the side of his face.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)10:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need a lot more info to help you.

When you say the water parameters are good, what do you mean ? If you have test kits what are the results? pH Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate would help.

What size tank is it?
What is the full stock load of fish (Species and numbers)?
How long has the tank been running? How and when was it cycled?
What species of Cory is it?

Bob
bigbones
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)15:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cory soon died after I posted. I took it out and gave it a full examination. It had no ich, no parasites, no fungus and didn't seem skinny or bony like you would expect to see if a fish hasn't eaten. Also the red blush I saw in his face was a mistake, when I looked at him under the light there was no red blush. He seemed pretty normal. The only thing I did see was his tail. The bottom half of his scissor tail, the tip, wasn't into a point like his upper one was. I don't know if some fish bit it or what, I didn't really inspect the tails of the cories when I got them in, which was about 2 months ago. By the way this Sterbai cory is around 3.5 inches. I guess that's an adult, though I've seen in some stores bigger. But anyhow these are the water paramaters.

Ammonia 0 Nitrites 0 Nitrates 10-20 ppm

The tank has been running for 6 months, 3 months after I first set it up, I bought my first fish, the 2 blood parrots with bio spira and let that run for about 2 months before I added the other fish.

My tank is a 75 gallon with 2 blood parrots, 6 sterbai cories (5 now), and 5 Long Finned Tetras, everyone from my inspection seemed to live peacefully among themselves. And also the night before, I saw all the cories swimming and acting normally, I didn't see any strange behaviors. Though sometimes I would see a cory kind of dipping real quick on the gravel. The first time I saw it was about 2 months ago and the last time I saw it was a week ago.

Hope this helps.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: