Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cleaning question
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Avenger
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)5:50    Post subject: Cleaning question Reply with quote

Dunno if this should be in this specific section, but also dunno where else it could go.
I've got some lava rock as decoration in one of my older tanks that is pretty well algaed up. The otos aren't eating the stuff, presumably because the rock is too rough for their lips. I've tried using a steel brush, but the stuff just won't come off, it's down into the pores of the rock. Anyone got any ideas on removing it?
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try a steam cleaner if you can get a hold of one, maybe a power washer but that may be a bit much.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.24(Sun)16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try soaking it in bleach and then try scrubbing with a stiff bristled brush... be sure to rinse them well after cleaning and soak/rinse in water with a fair amount of dechlor.

Fred
Avenger
Members

PostPosted: 2006.12.25(Mon)22:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bleach sounds good. I've got a powerwasher, and I think it would pretty much shred the stuff. Thanks folks!
melissaann
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that soaking items in denture cleaner works. You drop tablets into water and they fizz it off. Not sure if it would get it all the way out of the tiny pores, though.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)14:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should never use bleach or any kind of detergent on things inside the aquarium since it can kill the fish, although a little windex on the outside is okay.

brisbaneace
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)17:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found CRC brand GLASS CLEANER to be the best for the outside of my tanks, if it is available in your area, try it out. I use the trigger pack, but it is available in aerosol as well, which we use for window cleaning in the house.
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

DF Bobo wrote:
you should never use bleach or any kind of detergent on things inside the aquarium since it can kill the fish, although a little windex on the outside is okay.
Bleach can be OK as long as you rinse throughly, and I would boil it afterwards. Bleach has all kinds of uses for the aquarium such as bleach bathsx for plants to get rid of algae. The main think is rinse rinse rinse.
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)14:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used Denture Cleaner on fake plants (soak them for a 1/2 hour) and it cleaned them quite well - with the help of a toothbrush. I agree to never use bleach or cleaners. Even with the Denture Cleaner I washed the plants thoroughly, multiple times before putting them back in the tank.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: