Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Green water disaster (posted in General Freshwater also)
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Gini
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)2:24    Post subject: Green water disaster (posted in General Freshwater also) Reply with quote

My 55 gal FW planted tank has been established and thriving for about a year. I recently added 3 Australian Rainbows - grew at an alarming rate - ate the tails and dorsal fins off 3 of my 5 rosy barbs, then low and behold, my tank developed the dreaded pea soup syndrome. I gave away the rainbows, did a 30% water change, tested the parameters, and found that everything was well within normal range. After months of 77 F. temps, my thermostat went on the blink, reducing the temp down to 70. New thermostat took a bit of tweaking, raising the temperature to 82 for a short time. Now it's stabilized at 79 F. - still a bit too high for my liking, but for all I know this algae colony may thrive at cooler temps. I reduced lighting from 10 to 6 hours per day. Algae bloom worsened. I read somewhere to do a 90% water change, that helped big-time, NOT. My fish are starting to slow down, not very active. My feeding has slowed down too as I realize that overfeeding leads to more food for the algae. In cleaning the tank, I vacuumed the bottom thoroughly, also discovered several dead and badly decayed fish. Geez, I'm stumped. I also read (gotta quit doing that!) to cover the entire tank with a dark sheet. So tonight and all day tomorrow the tank will be in complete darkness. The bed sheet is hopefully porous enough so oxygen is readily available. I'm running 2 AquaClear 50's, changing out ONLY the carbon bag every 3 weeks. Tonight I turned up the aeration from a slight trickle to pretty good bubble action. There is plenty of surface movement, not just from the filters, but from the Aqua Clear quick filter that I frequently run (creates quite the current), but does a fabulous job of remove very fine particulate. NOW I read about a product called "Algone", claiming this is just the solution to my green water problem. It reduces nitrates, ammonia, phosphates, etc. Big deal - my levels are near perfect. Has anyone tried Algone to reduce or speed up the process of reducing the algae bloom buggers? Crying or Very sad Does anyone have a successful experience they can share so that I don't lose all my community fishies? I have a gorgeous array of plants, and I'm worried that I'll be starting completely over again. PLEASE HELP! I'M FREAKING OUT!
sepgundamrg
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)2:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the sheet method, but do it for more than just a day. From what I can tell it takes about 5 days for it to work. DO NOT USE ALGONE!!! It will only temporarily solve the problem.
Gini
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)3:08    Post subject: 5 days of darkness to clear up algae bloom? Reply with quote

I wonder how the extended darkness will affect my plants? I don't think the fish will mind it, other than their food supply will greatly diminished. Do you know anyone who tried total darkness for up to 5 days? Algone sounded too good to be true, and since my water testing parameters are normal, I don't need a product that lowers nitrites and nitrates, etc. Thanks for the suggestions!!
Minsc
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.18(Thu)13:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of lighting do you have? Blackouts and the "leave it alone" technique work well with low lighting. Higher lighting is easier solved with a UV sterilizer. Diatom filters are supposed to do well too, but I've never tried that.

Also, if you are having fish deaths, or your fish are acting weird, you need to figure out what the problem is. Green water does not harm fish.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: