Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
brown algae
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)21:19    Post subject: brown algae Reply with quote

I've got a ten gal w/ a lot of brown algae growing in it -probably because I stopped my c02 regiment. any ideas on how to get rid of it. I have blue rams in the tank and would like to not hurt them.

thanks
honda
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some oto's for it there great for brown alage if your stocking lets you!!!!
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right that algae will bloom if you don't keep your fertilizing and CO2 at a constant level. What kind of setup do you have on this tank? (I.e. wattage of lights and type, type of plants, and what kind of a fertilizing/CO2 regimen are/were you using) Also do you plan to start up your CO2 regimen again or are you trying something different?

Chances are that if you get back in routine that was working before you can eliminate the problems you have now.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)8:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two 10 watt compact fluorescent (screw in) bulbs, about 3" of substrate (eco-coomplete and regular on top) and I've been using a cheap Sera co2 infusor... this tank's in my kitchen and gets too much sun so I've shortened the light time to about 9 hrs/day.

I was trying to get my plants to grow a little bit slower -cause a 10 gal is small and every other day I'd have to trim the plants to keep them in the tank

I just did the c02 thing this morning, so I'm crossing my fingers... guess I've got to set up a diy injector
Angela G.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...CO2 is very important to plants. If you wanted to cut back on trimming you should probably find a way to reduce your lighting gradually. The more lighting you have on your tank the more CO2 the plants are going to want to use. If you reduce the lighting the plants won't need as much CO2, but do this gradually or you will have problems with algae. You basically need to experiment with lighting levels here. Lower the light, check you CO2 levels for a couple of days, and adjust them as needed.

I recommend moving the tank out of direct sunlight if at all possible. It will be very hard to control your light regimen if you don't. Not to mention algae troubles and possible temperature regulation problems.
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.17(Wed)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

my c02 blast this morning seems to have cleared up most of the algae (wow!) I will probably move the tank out of the sunlight sometime soon.. as far as trimming goes, I guess I don't mind as I have a few more tanks that could use more plants.

thanks for your help
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: