Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Local aquarium club - this strikes me as stupid
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2006.10.20(Fri)5:39    Post subject: Local aquarium club - this strikes me as stupid Reply with quote

I discovered an aquarium club in my area, via the Internet, about a year ago. They have a message board that nobody uses so far, and one of the rules is not to offer to trade, buy or give away fish. Does that seem stupid to you? What do they do, just go to meetings and say, "I like guppies." ? The club is supposed to be for hobbyists -- including fish breeders!

It might have to do with some German law about conducting transactions related to housepets on the Internet. For example, you can't buy something like snails here on Ebay. But it strikes me as silly that you can't post to a local fish club board that you've got some fish you'd like to give away. I can't think of a good reason for this.
Sand
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes that's odd. send them a note asking why? I'd like to know just out of curiosity!
I was looking at your posts to see if you've been here lately, and you've been here as much as me, hahaha.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may well trade between members, but they could have been put off trading outside by seeing their belowed fish slaughtered by beginners.

Why not go along and say hello, chances are you will learn more about fishkeeping by meeting these people than you ever will by reading stuff of the net.

Give them a chance as well, sometimes clubs like to see you are a serious fishkeeper before opening up to you.

Bob
Sand
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)6:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that's a great point Bob, but then again why would someone join a club if they weren't serious about it? a club is something you think of after you are serious about something. right?
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: