Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Heater
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
JBR
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.15(Mon)20:37    Post subject: Heater Reply with quote

well I bought a Whisper 2-15 gallon heater for my 10 gallon tank. I read the instrusctions but they are not too clear to me. I cleared soem gravel and laid the heater on the bottom of my tank it been there for a few hours. can I turn in on now because I heard you are not supposed to turn it on the minute you submerge the heater in the tank, that you need to waite a while. I am afriad to turn the heater on cause I don't want to kill my fish. so when is it OK to turn it on and can I cover the heater up with gravel or not. one last question where and how is the best way to put the heater on the bottom of the tank or on the side of the tank.
richiestang_78
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)2:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasnt aware that Whisper made a heater you could bury. If its just a submersible heater then its not suppose to be buried. And as far as waiting, thats just so the glass will be the same temp as the water and on the slight chance that the sudden heat may break it.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless it is a heater designed to be buried, then don't do it.

Most heaters sit parralel to the bottom about a few inches up from the bottom, this makes the heater about as efficient as possible. You need convection to heat the tank up, this means cold water gets warmed and rises up, bringing fresh cooler water into contact with the heater etc.

If the heater is on the back wall, you have a chance to hide it with plants or ornements etc.

Never heard of not swithching a heater on straight away, the reverse is true, you always switch the heater off for at least 20 minutes before you take it out of the tank.

Another reason for having the heater nearer the bottom of the tank is for water changes, if it is near the top, when you took out water fora water change you could accidently leave the heater un submerged, and it could break.

If you imagine these two large lines are the tank then the middle smaller line would be the heater:

_______________________________________________________Top of tank

_____________ Heater

________________________________________________________Bottom

Bob
Angry Andy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.16(Tue)6:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

JBR is correct- it is essential to let a heater acclimate itself to the tank water's temperature (to calibrate the thermostat) for at least 15 minutes before powering it on.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: