Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
heater hot!!!
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
stickylungs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)3:52    Post subject: heater hot!!! Reply with quote

is my heater supposed to be so hot in the water that when I touch it I get burned?

for now I have unplugged it just to be safe
that heater wasn't cheap and I only bought it a few months ago Sad
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)8:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

it should be warm and in certain lighting conditions, you can see the heated water rising from the heating element/ how many watts is the heater? I guess a bigger heater might have enough power to burn somebody. if it's a small heater, it shouldn't do that. with big heaters, you can just put a heater guard on it so your fish don't burn themselves. also, check the temperature. if it's within normal levels, then that means you just have to get a heater guard.

Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)9:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they can get hot. They are small immersion heaters, the elements inside get very hot. Normally they create a current of water, that will help keep them from getting so hot they burst the glass.

The idea is they have a thermostat, that cuts them off when they reach a set temp. But it is off or on, they don't get warm, it's either cold or hot.

Make sure they can never run when out of water, or they will burn up and crack the glass.

As long as it is cutting out at the set temperature, it is working properly. If you are still worried a heater guard like DF mentioned would be a good idea.

In theory you shouldn't be putting your hand in the tank with any electrical equipment running (I know we all do it, but it's not a good idea).

Bob
stickylungs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks both since I have algae eating fish (ancistrus) that suck every surface now I think a heater guard is a good idea

thanks
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: