Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Look what I found today - Bronze cory eggs! :D
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do like the plants! I found a few more eggs last night when I went to turn off the tank light. They were on the underside of a silk leaf. That cory laid her eggs all over the tank. Laughing

All of the eggs on the tank glass and the plant leaf were gone this morning, and the ones on the filter uptake are almost all gone. The bunch that are closest to the tank glass are still there. Fat platies probably can't reach them there. Or they just haven't figured out how yet...
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

flame_angel11 wrote:
Also, what do you think about removing the eggs with the razor? Ever heard or done it?

I was doing a little research and read somewhere (should have come and posted it then 'cause now I don't remember where I found it):

You can get the eggs out with a clean drinking straw. You know how you put your finger over it to lift Coke out of a glass? Slide the end of the straw carefully over the eggs til you've gathered up a few, put your finger over, and lift em out. Thought it was pretty clever, myself.

Update on my eggs: All gone now. The platies probably figured out how to suck em up. Then again, they're supposed to hatch within 24-36 hrs of when they were laid, so who knows? Maybe I'll find itty bitty Bronze corykittens in a couple of weeks. Smile
susankatomerit
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would almost bet the eggs were eaten, not only by the platies but the cories will also eat some of the eggs.

My cories lays eggs at least once a week when I do a water change, as the water is always slightly cooler than the tank itself. When they start laying their eggs I watch where they are putting them Then remove the plants to a different tank. the ones on the glass I found the easiest way to get them off is to use a credit card and slowly remove them and put them on another leaf.
Keep your hatching tank at about 80 degrees with an airstone and a sponge filter. They should hatch in 36 to 48 hours. Don't feed for the first 24 hours as they will absorb the egg sac. After that start feeding baby brine shrimp and white worms 3 or 4 times a day. Do daily water changes as the water will go bad if you don't because of all the feedings. Using a small airline tube is good for this as its easier to not pic up any babys. After about a week start cutting back on feedings by one, another week cut back again. til you are feedng twice a day. With this I have successfully raised several batches of fry and in a few short weeks when they are big enough not to fit into another fishs mouth they can be returned to the main tank.

Here is a shot of some of my albino cory fry feeding on frozen baby brine shrimp. They are about 10 days old here.

Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: