Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Convict Cichlid pair having...issues.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
emopuppypirate
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)0:02    Post subject: Convict Cichlid pair having...issues. Reply with quote

Okay, I have two Convict Cichlids, one male, the other female, both about an inch and a half long. The female I named Scottie, and the male is Darian. Scottie has just recently decided that she doesn't like Darian anymore. She always has him cornered in the top righthand corner of the tank. I've tried a few things, such as more shelters, rearranging the tank, and right now Scottie's in a net breeder. (Fishy Jail, lol)
They were getting along just fine until a few days ago. I have no idea what to do. Would Darian harm my guppies, Zebra Danios, Molly, or Platy if I put him in with them? Or is there something I should do to make them make up and continue living together? They were diggin all sorts of little pits, and staking off caves from "intruders" (even though they're the only fish in the tank) and showing all the signs of being ready to breed. Sad What's wrong with them?
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I am not new to the hobby, but am new to cichlids.
I have a full american/african tank, and even have a 3 inch oscar and three very small cichlids in my community tank doing recovery.
I'm not sure that there are actual rules about what you have.... you can try it, and be lucky like me.
Try it... you can only fail.
Ian
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't try putting a male in a community tank. I've been successful keeping NON-breeding females cons with community fish though...

Did you check for eggs?? My female convict, Rose, started attacking my male, Marilyn, after she laid the eggs. If I were you, I'd check all places for eggs to see if she's defending them from him(not that she really has too). Some females get really protective over their eggs and will kill their husbands. lol
emopuppypirate
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...well, I let Scottie out of the net breeder. The good news is, Darian defended himself, as apperantly the night away from the wife (lol) was good for him, and he defended himself, but this morning, I saw that he'd gone too far, and Scottie was cornered, with some minimal damage to her fins. I looked for eggs all over the place, and nothing looked out of the ordinary. What color would they be? Right now Darian is in the net breeder, and Scottie's trying to attack him through it, and he's trying to attack her back.
And apperantly ther'e been some mouth-wrestling, because both of them appear to have little fu-man-chu things, and Scottie has a tiny piece of skin loose.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)12:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, these two convicts are of similar aggression and aren't going to stop their fueding anytime soon. lol

I'd put one of them in a seperate tank and give it a few days before trying again.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: