Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
pH spike!
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)8:35    Post subject: pH spike! Reply with quote

I'm having a huge problem with my new 29-gallon tank. Yesterday I purchase some substrate for it. I have a layer of Flourite, and on top of that a layer of sand. There are no fish in there currently, but I do have two live plants. Last night I added ammonia for fishless cycling, and I thought all was well. (The water is very cloudy, but that should dissipate.) However, today, I did my routine water testing and noticed a major change: my pH has absolutely soared. It's off the scale even on the high pH range test. (I use the Aquarium Pharmecuticals brand.) The brand of sand I used says Super Naturals, and on the little sticker it says marine sand. Does this mean that sand was actually meant for a reef tank, which is what caused my pH to go so high? How do I fix this to get it back to a reasonable level? Please help. Crying or Very sad

EDIT: I was looking at the bag again, and I noticed it did say safe for fresh or saltwater. Why, then, did it cause my pH to go so high? Or was it not the sand that caused this at all?
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)8:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you have any other rocks or rock materials in the tank or filter? when did you do the first test? the water has to sit for a while before you can make an accurate test. and how is it off the scale? I have the exact same test kit, so can you tell me what the colour is? also, how old is the test kit? they lose accuracy over time.

NakitiDL
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until yesterday, the tank was completely empty except for a single piece of driftwood. I took the driftwood out and haven't put it back in. I have been testing daily for everything, and my pH has stayed around 7.2 to 7.4. I only purchase the kit a little over a week ago, so it should still be just fine as far as that goes. The first pH was dark blue (7.6), so I did a high range pH just in case, and that one was dark purple (8.8 ).
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new substrate you just added in is not inert. There is a simple way to test it. Put some of them in a plastic cup, add something like pH down in it. If it starts to react to it, then it is not inert. You will have to take it out of the tank if you want to keep low pH. Otherwise, not matter what you do, the substrate will act as a buffer and put the pH right back to the high readings.

If you care about the pH reading of your tank, it is very important to test EVERYTHIGN for inert BEFORE you put it in the tank. Otherwise, you will have pH changes like this.

Hope this helps.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: