Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dying Danios
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
lana
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)4:58    Post subject: Dying Danios Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have lost 2 more Danios today, the larger ones of the 6 that I had. So now I have 2 medium left and the original 6 Golden Widows, the water seemed to be OK as I take a sample every few days to get tested. I know they are supposed to be peaceful but I have observed them biting each other and just general bullying, is there something I can do, I have 8 out of 12 fish left, I'm scared to o to bed and leave them alone. Any ideas? I have a freshwater tank it hold 48 litres.

Lana.
Blair
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK can you post more info the species of these Danios, a picture might help us. Sometimes Danios fight among themselves, but I don't know if it is just with some larger species. All the info you could give us would be great.

Blair
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

They where zebra danios, I had a variety of sizes, the last two that died where the largest of them, which was rather surprising, I took the remaining ones back to the shop this morning, just couldn't bare to see them bully the widows. Not sure what was wrong with them I guess they just didn't like their new home? they really where a little violent towards each other I thought they where peaceful fish. Anyway I have a 48 litre cold water tank, the ammonia levels where a little high but I did a water change of 1/4 and it was fine. the tank has been set up since Christmas and I put fish in only about 2 weeks ago 12 in total 6 Zebra Danio and 6 Golden Widow. Sigh a little disapointed in my abilities really.

Lana.
Jun
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)1:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's simply a case of overcrowding. You had 12 fish that have an adult size of at least 5cm, if not more, in a tank that should only have held 6 or so. Taking the danios back was a good decision, your overcrowding issues should be solved now. Also, I believe a 48 litre was too small to house danios in to begin with -- they need a much larger tank to swim in because of their energy levels. Danios are normally very peaceful fish (And they're great fun to watch), I keep a school of 7 myself and they never bother anyone. They are very playful and will chase each other in good fun, but in the conditions you had them in they were just simply competing for too little space.

You said it is a cold water tank. Golden Widows are best suited for a tank with a temperature between 74 and 82 degrees. Does your tank keep temperatures like this? Also, uou said you got the tank for Christmas, and you set it up two weeks ago. Did you cycle the tank before adding fish?
lana
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)2:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they are very energetic, I did love watching them as they just scooted around all the time quick as a flash.

It's summer hear and we have had a lot of hot days since I have set up, the tank is around 24C so no problems there, however I will invest in a heater I know how important it is to keep things stable. As far as cycling they said that I would be able to put them in as soon as the tank subtract settled and the water cleared, although I left it longer than that as I was reading about stuff and learning a little, I guess not enough. I suppose I trust what aquarium people say as they deal with tanks everyday, I will also be more selective on that. I was rather surprised at the amount that they said I could keep.

I feel bad at giving them a home that was not suitable and that 4 didn't survive. Thank you for you help, I hope the remaining 6 are happier, although the tank is a lot less busy.

Lana.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: