Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
A Fish Story... "Moby"
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
bEcK
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)22:51    Post subject: A Fish Story... "Moby" Reply with quote

I'm just trying to learn here and perhaps help others as well. Maybe a little grief therapy for me as well. Anyway, "Moby" was my "buddy"... I got him about 12 years ago and we went through some tough times 'together.' He was a Plecostomus, Hypostomus punctatus "Plecto." He was only about 3 inches long when my 'then' wife brought him home from the local Sav-on. They had these little guys in small bowls, selling them for a couple of bucks each. I put him in a 5 gal "tank" and he quickly grew. He lead a pretty boring life in his "ghetto tank" , but always outlived anything else we put in there. My wife and I split the sheets about 6 years ago and frankly, I didn't really give a damn about much through all that. We never had any kids, just my 2 labs and the silly fish, the house and all the criters stayed with me. Well, Moby survived my depressed era and his poor living conditions in that ghetto tank until about 5 years ago, when I upgraded him to a new bachleor pad. I purchased a 20 gal. tank and outfitted it real basic, but pretty cool with a few rocks, plants and hiding places for Moby. He loved it... and so did my roomates kids, who actually got me to get the bigger tank and ended up naming him. Of course he uprooted things all the time, but kept it lickity split clean. I kept a bag of algae wafers on hand, which he seem to enjoy quite well. I had a few tetras and neons over the few years to keep him company. He outlived them all except for 1 that I still have.

Anyway, the crux of the story here is about a month ago I purchased a new Marineland filter with the bio wheel and was wanting to add a few more buddies back to the lone tetra and Moby. Everything seemed to be running all well, and stable. I added 6 new fish in all 2 weeks ago, all small tetra family fish. One of the new tetras I found floating dead about a week ago. While at work my g-friend called me this past week to tell me Moby was very listless and just didn't seem his "self." I got home and checked on him to see he was lacking color, had bulging eyes that were cloudy, long feces hanging from him and was quite listless indeed. I went down to the local pet supply and got a bottle of tester strips, some antibiotics and some parasite tablets (in reading I thought maybe he'd gotten a parasite or something bacterial from the other fish). The nitriate level showed up very high, so I did a partial water change as well. As I left work for my shift work this morning he looked a little better, but still had the cloudy eyes and grey color. I bid him a farewell as I thought he might be checking out on me. My g-friend called me today to say yes, in fact Moby did not make it today. She didn't have the heart to remove him from the tank and has left the chore for me when I return home tomorrow. I'm going to plant him next to my palm trees so he can carry on the legacy and legend of Moby.

I've heard these fish do live a long time and, my god, he was ONLY a fish, but I can't help wondering if what I did was upset the balance by introducing the new fish. Maybe he got a taste of the dead fish and some bacteria killed him, or maybe it was just ripe old age... I had heard these guys live 20+ years... I don't know. Anyway, I got attached to that stupid fish. He lived under some pretty poor conditions early on, but then got me interested again in giving him a place for a nice existence. He kept me 'company' crusing his digs in the loft while I did my work on the computer. I was thinking of buying a bigger tank to house him... and let him enjoy some more real estate, but alas, he has passed. Anyway, thanks for reading my story and understanding my pain. LOL. R.I.P. MOBY.

Last edited by bEcK on 2007.01.14(Sun)1:06; edited 1 time in total
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.14(Sun)0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry... I totally understand. I cried over my gourami George when he died, and I only had him 3 years. And I felt like it was my fault too, because we moved.

It may have been your new fish to blame. Cloudy eye is sometimes the sign of parasites, so keep an eye on them. But cloudy eye is usually bacterial and due to a weakened immune system from other causes. It's hard to tell now, especially if the other fish seem fine.

Keep your water extra clean for the next few weeks just in case. Vacuum the gravel, etc.

RIP Moby.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: