Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mini white spots
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Mr_G100
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)23:45    Post subject: mini white spots Reply with quote

Please help me out.
I don
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like ick to me... are the white spots like little grains of salt? If so, click on the Articles button on the left side of the page and read the "Using Heat to Treat Ick" article. I just cured a tank of platies over Christmas without a single loss of life and haven't had any new breakouts, so it really works!

If the white spots are less defined than salt and the fins seem to be getting frayed as well, it's probably bacterial finrot. If the spots are fuzzy at all, it's probably a fungus of some sort.

All three of these can be combatted to some extent by doing water changes and making sure your water is clean, clean, clean. The bacterial and fungal infections might need some medication, but if you start getting the water under control before the fish are too bad off, they'll probably be able to fight it off on their own without the need for chemical medicines.
Mr_G100
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres a small video that I have include as pics all come up really crap
very small 357 kb and will show on of the platyes that I originly saw going wierd and swiming wierd

just click on pic above to see the video
thank you
regards,
Nate
Mr_G100
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't add any medications as I don't want to lose my plants
as u can see by the pic(video) the tanks very well planted
I just did a water change but under 10%
I'll go do a rather large change if thats good.
as I the change water won't be the same temp it might stress the fish even more
oh and my heater is a older(ie ancient Razz ) one that is non adjustable so I'll have to wait for cash again.
regards,
Nate
Mr_G100
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuberclosis: what exactly is this
after reading the symptoms and if u look at the video above u can see that it exhibits more then one of the symptons and lol I'm now fretting as I have just noticed that I have a nice little cut on my hand and I was giving a clean up today.
I feel really bad for the fish
I'm thinking of butting him down
will putting him in a bowl with a high percentage of turps or a Wax and grease remover put him out of his missery or do I need to use my precious scotch in water.
thats for the help and a speedy reply will be much appricated.
thanks,
Regards,
Nate
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)12:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish showing signs of TB usually have lumps and open sores. Make sure you're washing your hands very, very well after handling the tank! (just in case.)

I hate to have to agree, but removing your fish is probably the safest idea. There are so many methods and so many opinions... click on "Search Board" above and do a search for 'euthanasia' or 'euthanizing.'
Mr_G100
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah got up this morning and found the fish dead.
sad, I should have put him out of his misery a few days ago.
Mr_G100
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I still have ich on the other fish what
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason to not use modern anti-ich medication in planted tanks.

I have very heavily planted tanks and I have used the Interpet medication.

If you do use this or any other, you need to take any carbon out of the filter and raise the temp to about 80f (Speeds up the ich bug lifecycle).

It helps to understand the lifecycle of the enemy when dealing with Ich.

The white spot you see on a fish is a bug buried underneath the fishes scales, eventually they fall off, then lie on the tank floor, where it divides into hundreds of new bugs who burst out, swim up looking for fish to invade.

It is only during this free swimming time that medication will kill the bugs, and that is why you raise the temp, so all the bugs go through a full lifecycle whilst the medication is in the tank (Normally about a week).

I believe the idea behind the temperature only method is as follows (I have never used this method):

Ich bugs are very temperature sensative, in coldwater the lifecycle can take months, as the temp goes up, it speeds up, to an optimum temp of about 80f, if you push the temp up even higher 86f etc it can stop or even kill them.

Be aware that as the temp goes up in water, the Oxygen level held in water goes down, so if you go for the heat treatment idea, put an airpump in the tank to help raise the Oxygen level (Even if this drives of CO2 and hurts the plants).

One other note, almost all Tetras are shoaling fish, they are far happier in groups of a minimum of 5 per species, and the more the merrier (Obviously you don't over stock).

Bob
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: