Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
female betta beat up my new female betta
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)1:37    Post subject: female betta beat up my new female betta Reply with quote

Hi,
I had a female betta in my 55 gallon tank with a few white clouds. I brought a new female betta tonight, and introduce her to the tank. The old female betta scare the crap out of the new guy! Poor fish, even after I removed the bully from the tank, she was scared and just hide at the bottom of the 55 gal.

So now I have the bully fish in a separate container, and will wait a few days to put her in. How does that sound? Any suggestions for making them get along?

Thanks,
Eric
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)3:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big is the seperate container?
If it is a resonable size (over 5 gal) then I would rearrage the whole 55g tank so the new betta can find a territory and get used to its surroundings. Once the beat up one is back to health and not scared anymore you can put the 'bully' back in and hopefully they should be alright together.
If not, you might have to keep them seperated or sell/give one away.
What do other people think about keeping two females together? I have read that they can and can not, any one had experience? I have only ever kept one by it self.
Jan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

When placed together, female bettas will form a pecking order or hierarchy. Therefore, it is important to keep either one (1) female betta alone, or in groups of at least three (3) or more. Keeping just two (2) female bettas together may not be the best idea because it's likely one will become the alpha and pick on the other.
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.13(Sat)11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was actually thinking of getting a third female betta, because I've started giving up on getting a female pearl gourami for my tank - just don't like all the fighting that might occur. Maybe my tank will look pretty cool with 4 female bettas.

So all the inhabitants will be:
4 female bettas
6 white cloud fish
8 tiny red cherry shrimp
2 amano shrimp
1 apple snail

And some java ferns, sword, red ludwigia, moss ball. I hope the java ferns don't' attack the snail Smile

Thanks!
Eric
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: