Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Jack Dempsey 55 gal
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Docholliday
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)13:51    Post subject: Jack Dempsey 55 gal Reply with quote

I have an empty 55 gal and was looking at all the possibilities for stocking it. After doing some research I decided to go with Jack Dempsey's. So what I need is your opinion's.

Here's what I was thinking so far:

2 Jack Dempsey's (not sure if I'll breed them yet)
1 Sailfin Pleco

And maybe 3 Dojo loaches.

I'd like this to be a tank were the fish can live their entire happy life without any stunting or stress. The pleco I'm willing to part with if it gets to large but I believe it will be able to get quite large before I'll have to.
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't suggest keeping 1 Jack in a 55g, let alone 2. Sad

My friend has 1 jack in a 75g and it sill looks crammed in there.

Sorry.
Docholliday
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your suggestion PocketBoy, yet I'm still not sure if my mind is changed. One persons view of whether a fish looks crammed or not can vary to the next. I'll have to look at some pics on google or something to see. It wouldn't make me feel good if everyone that saw my tank said "those fish look crammed in there" so I'll keep your point in mind.

Any other opinions?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Pocketboy, a pair of Jacks would be a bit to much for a 55 gallon tank. Why not consider a pair of Firemouths.

I think you would need to reconsider your Sailfin Plec (Glyptoperichthys gibbiceps). These get to 20 inches long and need a really big tank. Bristlenoses would do much better.

If you went for Firemouths and Bristlenoses, you could also consider a shoaling species of fish to go with them.

Bob
Docholliday
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bred firemouths in the past and loved them. They tragically died so thats why I don't have them anymore. So firemouths would be nice to have again, they seemed to survive any water I threw at them, and are beautiful.
I wouldn't get a shoaling fish though, because they're usually small and get eaten and they never seem to live long for me. Especially tetra which always seem to die of the mysterious tetra disease. I just plan don't like small fish.

As for the pleco, I don't like spending much money on any type of fish. Bristlenoses are always expensive here in my part of Canada, so I'll have to go with some other type of pleco. But I do agree, maybe I should just get a pleco that won't out grow my tank so I don't have to worry about trading it in.

So if I did go with firemouths, wouldn't it be possible to have more than just two in a 55 gallon tank? Maybe two pairs?

Any other types of cichlids I could go with?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)11:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 55 would do a pair nicely Wink

My boy has Swordtails in with his large male Firemouth. Swordtails and Platties make ideal tank mates for Firemouths, as they come from a similar part of the world, like similar water conditions, and you don't get over run by Livebearer fry Wink

There is an old tank of the month feature here, well worth a look as the pictures are stunning, he has 5 Firemouths in there, but it is nearer to a 120 US gallon tank.

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/e_tank0512.php

Bob
CichlidKid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)12:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow I had no idea Swordtails and Platties would survive with Firemouth's. Awesome! Thanks Bob for the link to that tank o the month too. Was indeed a beauty.

Doc: I like Bob's idea but having only 2 fish in a big tank like that just seems kinda empty to me, unless you're gonna go with the swords and Platies too. Plan on filling it with some plants maybe? The tank in that link was really cool

"you're a daisy if ya do"- Tombstone
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: