Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
newbie to cichlids... how to start??
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Julie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)18:01    Post subject: newbie to cichlids... how to start?? Reply with quote

Hello I have a couple of questions. The first one have to do with angelfish.

If I wanted to try angelfish how many would be suitable to start with?? I was think 1 to 4.

How big of a tank would be need for that many angelfish, a couple other tankmates and a clean up crew??

What would be suitable tank mates for them??

And my other questions are concerned with oscars, and convicts.

If I wanted a oscar(I know they get BIG) and maybe some tank mates what would be suitable tank size?
And what would be suitable tankmate?

Thanks
Marcos Avila
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.10(Wed)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answers to very basic questions like that are best found with a little research. Your first group of questions are answered here:

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_angel.php

And your second group of questions are answered here:

http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1676

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_oscar.php

Success with a fish/tank is measured in YEARS, not months or weeks...
CichlidKid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)9:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Marcos for posting those before I did.

Julie: Welcome to the forum. Very Happy Hopefully you'll get as much outta this place as I have. There should be some basic info for you (all you'll need to get started) in the links provided by Marcos. However, I would definitely read as much as possible before you "Experiment" and start mixing incompatible species. They may Kill eachother

If you're going with the 75 gallon you'll have almost unlimited possibilities. I would decide on a species of fish you'd like for the centerpiece in your aquarium and build from there. This will make it easier to determine what other fish will go well together.

I am setting up a 90 gallon in a month or so and have some experience with cichlids including a JD, GT, Salvini, and others of my own. one other thing to consider with such a big tank is changing the water, and proper filtration methods. This is a VERY important part of fish keeping. You owe it to the fish to make them as healthy and comfortable as possible. Good luck!
Julie
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. I would really like a oscar and a convict... not to sure thought yet. I really like angels Smile I guess I still have time to plan anyway
CichlidKid
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oscars are very popular and require a lot of space. Not sure how many could go into a 75, but I'd assume 2 max. That may only be big enough for one oscar, but I'm not sure. I'm into Central and South American Cichlids such as Dempsey's, Salvini's, etc... I just find them more interesting.

When I first started out I found this site and read just about every gallery entry in there at the time, just because I had no idea there were so many fascinating fish out there. I Had the little 10 gallon tank phase when I was 10 or so and never did it right, or even knew I was doing it wrong in the first place. Those fish died, probably because I didn't do water changes, or regular tank maintenance as required.

This site opened my eyes not only to the species available, but also to the amount of responsibility, and care involved with fish keeping. It's fun and you get rewarded for doing it right.

being an Engineer I tend to over-analyze things, just the way I am. So I devoured everything I could get my hands on as far as fish species, compatibility, and their individual requirements before I dove into the hobby. I would spend some time going through this site, and learn as much as you can, then go for it. You might really benefit from using the search function in the cichlid forum. You can search for threads that talk about Angelfish or Oscars, or anything really. The species you're interested in are pretty common so I would expect a lot of info in here.

Sorry for the long post

Good Luck!
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: