Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Best Way to Use Flourite?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Gilligan
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)21:53    Post subject: Best Way to Use Flourite? Reply with quote

I have 30 pounds of flourite right now ready to go into my 29 gallon tank which will give me about two inches of substrate when used alone. Would this be good, or should I put my existing gravel (natural colored but about 4.5mm, two inches deep) over the top of the two inches of flourite or do a 50/50 mix of the gravel and flourite (three or four inches deep I was thinking)?
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)3:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal preference would be to use pure flourite only. I've had mixed results when mixing flourite with inert gravel in the past. Now I use a pure mix with about 3 inches deep and I've had positive results. I hope you will too, gluck.
Rex Grigg
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.12(Fri)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you mix your current gravel with the Flourite all your current gravel will end up on top.

If you need to mix the Flourite with something then get a gravel that is the same approximate grain size. I did this with my 55 gallon years ago and it looks good and works quite well. And I have had no stratification of the substrate.

Semper Fi
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: