Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Angel Wigglers
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)16:46    Post subject: Angel Wigglers Reply with quote

my two angels have mated several times now this winter (if u can call it winter).

this time they've chose not to eat their eggs and have moved several onto a tall peice of driftwood where they keep an eye on them as they wiggle (they actually flutter which I've never seen before) or slide off the edge; at which point the egg is caught in their mouth and placed back on the wood.

I have started my BBS hatchery up...

Idea my angels always tugged at each other's mouth shortly before and after spawning. their mouths are now slightly larger w/ a more rounded shape to them (they have "lips" now). maybe they do this tugging to prepare their mouths to handle their eggs.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)17:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with your wrigglers, it takes about 3 to 5 more days for them to become fully free swimming, I would leave these ones with the parents, and if you want to raise youngsters (Now you know you have a viable pair) I would wait till the next lot of eggs.

I would move the brood leaf and all, before they become wrigglers.

You can then decide if you want to use Methalyne Blue (As a fungicide) or just make sure you have good circulation (An air pump). What ever you do, you need to be looking at a minimum of 10% daily water changes, using water from the main tank.

The parents will attack you when you try and move them (Thats why it's best to move them before the wriggler stage, as it is easy to drop them once they wriggle, and aren't so well stuck to the leaf etc), but it doesn't hurt (The speed of the attack will surprise you though).

The lip locking is a sign of aggression, Angels even if they are mating can still be aggressive towards each other, just keep an eye on them in case all out war develops.

Bob

PS You need to think about fry food in advance, they don't need food until they have been free swimming for a good few hours (They use up the egg sack), but then you need some infusora and young brine shrimp. You can also feed then crushed up pellet food, but they only seem to go for it, if it's moving, so put some dust (Finely crushed up food) on your finger and put it under the water so it sinks past them (But do clear up uneaten food when you do a water change).

The first week is the hardest.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page could help:

http://home.earthlink.net/~photofish/FreeSwimming.html

Bob
krt
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob on Stronsay wrote:
Good luck with your wrigglers, it takes about 3 to 5 more days for them to become fully free swimming, I would leave these ones with the parents, and if you want to raise youngsters (Now you know you have a viable pair) I would wait till the next lot of eggs.

I don't think I'll have any more wrigglers in 3-5 days. right now there are only a dozen on a small peice of driftwood

Bob wrote:
I would move the brood leaf and all, before they become wrigglers.

You can then decide if you want to use Methalyne Blue (As a fungicide) or just make sure you have good circulation (An air pump). What ever you do, you need to be looking at a minimum of 10% daily water changes, using water from the main tank.

The parents will attack you when you try and move them (Thats why it's best to move them before the wriggler stage, as it is easy to drop them once they wriggle, and aren't so well stuck to the leaf etc), but it doesn't hurt (The speed of the attack will surprise you though).

they've got me a few times. the toughest thing about the situation is the location of our angel tank, it is sitting inside of built-in case which is just a touch too narrow to place a HOB. I would like to get/make a cannister filter for it to replace an underpowered POS HOB INTERNAL FILTER by whisper. Unfortunately that is where they lay their eggs.

I may move the whole setup to my 46 gal as I have yet to set that one up although I wanted to make it a loach tank.

-that link is awesome -thanks
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: