Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
No Way! Possible Ram Spawn
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.17(Sun)0:03    Post subject: No Way! Possible Ram Spawn Reply with quote

Today my mom told me that my rams were spawning in my 55 after I renovated the tank. (when I say renovate, I mean destroy the tank, including the aquascape to take out a couple freakin' tetras that I don't really want any more!)

Anyways, I told her it was impossible, because they are different kinds of rams (bolivian and german), but sure enough, when I walked into the room, the rams were hovering over a piece of slate and doing their thing. No eggs were dropped, but I think there is a chance of another spawn at some time.

I know I have asked before, but I got no answers, so is it possible for them to have a successful spawn?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2006.12.17(Sun)6:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say no. We will see what your fish say! (Females will lay eggs in the absence of a male, the question is whether the other fish will fertilize them. If so, will they hatch?)
See if you can take a couple of pictures of your fish OK? You may supply the proof - the only proof - that these fish will interbreed.
Cathy
Michael L.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2006.12.17(Sun)11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOH! That would make me feel special. Laughing I will be taking pictures of anything they do for the next week before I go on vacation on Friday.

I will know it worked if I come home to fry.

I have had the female for almost a year, and I believe that she is sexually mature now. She seems to have a very intense pink belly all the time and she is VERY territorial.

I have no doubt it was an attempted spawn though. I think that the stress of the tank tear-down brought it on. The only issue I can see is that my male may not be mature enough at this time. I have only had him for a couple months and he is considerably smaller than the female.
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, whatever happened here? Just curious...
Cathy
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: