Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Anyone kept 2 pairs of dwarf cichlids together?
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)22:34    Post subject: Anyone kept 2 pairs of dwarf cichlids together? Reply with quote

My tank dimensions are 36x15x20, 46 gallons. Anyone have any idea if I can have 2 pairs or any dwarf cichlids in there? Rams, Apistos, Curviceps or Kribs? Or would they require a bigger tank to have more than one pair in there?

I am planning to have a planted aquarium along with somes caves in there for hiding and breeding for the cichlids. Now I know the apristos might not be a good idea because they perfer a ratio of 1 male to a few femals but any of the other work?

I would like to stay away from cichlids that are high maintenance and very sensitive such as rams and apistos. I am planning to have a pair of Angels, 10 neons and maybe 6 neon rainbows along with a few otos in the tank as well for tankmates to some dwarf cichlids.

Any ideas here?
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bolivian rams would be nice - they are much more hardy than the Blue rams. The males get 4 inches, female 3.5. They have interesting behavior, perhaps you could get 2 pairs if you set up 2 territories... or one pair and some cories.
Cathy
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you specifically setup territories? I do have some rocks and caves in there that I have already laid out for that purpose. Would that be enough?

I have about 4 caves and some pebbles here and there
Cathy G
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Bolivians are not cave spawners so I don't know if they would go in them or not. See if someone else has any experience on this one. To set up 2 territories, each side of the tank would need a few plants, a couple pieces or one piece of driftwood and a flat rack for them to spawn on. The flat rock would have to be sheltered a bit so they have the illusion of privacy...

From each tank end, it could go something like plant/ driftwood/ rock/ plant, a collection on one side, something in the middle to seperate the 2 territories - maybe a big open space then rock/plant/driftwood, space plants, etc. You just want a grouping with a flat rock and hiding places on each side of the tank and open spaces between the groupings.

Sorry I don't seem to able to make myself more clear this morning. It must be a Monday...
Cathy
koolguyal
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.11(Thu)8:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Cathy, I will definitly be going for 2 pairs of Bolivian Rams for my tank. They look almost as good as the blue rams Smile
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: