Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
King De-Throned
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)12:29    Post subject: King De-Throned Reply with quote

I had a 55g tank with two Con.s and a variety of other tropical fish...community fish that is. Long story short, Marilyn Manson and Rose Mcgowan (the 2 convicts) had babies.. which lead to the Rose becoming quite aggressive, killing half of the fish and torturing her husband. Once the fry were removed from the aquarium Rose went back to being peacful to EVERYONE, including her husband, the tiger barbs, and a few others. Well, eventually Marilyn ate all the fish... even a 7inch common pleco! At this point Marilyn was only 2.5 inches... so I was surprised to say the least. On top of it, he didn't just kill them... he ate everything in sight except the bones!!

Finally, I was down to Mariyln and Rose, along with their semi-grown children. However, I woke up one morning and couldn't find Marilyn. After searching for him for a couple of minutes I saw his little spine and ribs at the bottom of the tank! They ate his ENTIRE body... no scales/flesh left, just bones.

He was the ruler of the aquarium... and his own family turned on him! Would make sense to me but the rest of them get along just fine now! Other than one of the girls fighting with one of her brothers. She's in full breeding color.. and she's been trying to get close to him... -.- lol

Anyway, I was just wondering if that's ever happened to anyone?? They must have ganged up on him because he was way bigger than any of them and far more aggressive, so it would have been impossible for just one of them to kill him. He was perfectly healthy and full of energy.

Any answers to what might have happened?
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)18:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds like very normal convict behaviour... I know of two other people who have had almost this exact sequence of events.

Impressive fish eh? Smile
PocketBoy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, daaaammmnn. LOL

Very impressive. I'm planning on upgrading to a 120g and keeping Rose and maybe one of the male con's. I don't think they'll breed since they've gone about 2yrs without any interests. Plus, they're mother/son so, hopefully they'll just be OK. Anyway, I want to get some severums for the 120g... think they'll be OK? Or should I just keep Rose and another female con with the severums?

Either way, I'd love to have another big bull male Con. They're gorgeous.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: