Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tank size for a Felis domesticus?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Reply to topic   Post new topic
chriscrob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.31(Thu)8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the benefits of keeping this species is that they will in fact clean themselves. its kind of gross, I mean if you saw a human licking himself all day long you would probably walk away very swiftly but with felines you can actually refrain from giving them regular baths unless they get very dirty.

This species would do well with a 150g tank. They like to jump and play and the extra height provided would be much better for them than a longer skinnier tank.
cbussell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.08.31(Thu)14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very messy species, make sure you have excellent bio-filtration as they're notorious for high ammonia output.

Also, have you thought about substrates? They can be rather picky when it comes to substrate. Be warned that a lot of them see plants as a 24x7 salad bar, so you might want to stick with fake plants or just skip it all together.

Laughing
cbussell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2006.09.01(Fri)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I swear I seem to kill threads This keeps up, I'm going to start getting paranoid or something Laughing
tegs
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)23:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You havn't killed this thread....I have something to add, cleaning the tank could be a problem...you'd need to remove the feline with very thick leather gloves...this species is known to cause grevious harm when disturbed. I would recomend tranquilizers before removing...*kiddding* Laughing
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)1:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your tank is way too small! Go the 200gal (or larger!) paludarium route, as yours looks as though it might be a (cute!) hybrid of the "Swimming Cat" variety, which likes room to swim.

They aren't necessarily a shoaling species but are livelier with company. Spaying and neutering your stock will prevent overstocking. For easier tank maintenance try the Dyson Animal DC14.

This species also appreciates hardy, quick-growing live plants to nibble on and especially the occasional treat of NAPETA CATARIA, which you can offer in fresh or dried form. Stimulation in the form of live food is also readily available at most pet stores in both the rodent cages and the reptile feeding room.
Avenger
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)16:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't recommend the normal cycling procedures. Trying to add a member of this species into a tank already filled with water could have truly HORRIBLE results......
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to: