Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Black fuzz on my plants
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
jtg90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)13:45    Post subject: Black fuzz on my plants Reply with quote

hi, I have the following tank

10 gallon:
Fauna
2 corycats, 6 neon tetras, 4 Ghost Shrimp, 3 feeder guppies

Flora
Anachris(enough to cover half of my tank)
3 Amazon Sword(I know that they "will get too big for a 10 gallon" but I have had them for a year and they are stiil the same size as when I got them [about 2 1/2 inches tall])
2 bananna plants
1 lilly bulb from walmart

On my 3 amazon swords thare is black fuzz/mold looking stuff growing on them, I have just discoved it in the past month or so, I have added no extra fish to my tank, at first it was just a little patch on one of my amazons leaf then it spread all over the plant and then all over the other 2 swords,and now it is begining to grow on my rocks, I have no nitrate/ite, pH, or ammonia reading. Anyone have an idea what this might be?

thanks,
jtg
tetrabarb
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)14:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

does it look kinda hairy and is it more brownthan black? I had some stuff on my plants and I figured it was just some sort of brown algae. I was able to scrape it off.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.08(Mon)14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

this look like the little peach fuz that guys grow on their faces before they get a moustach. but only really thick, and no it's not more brown that black. it "might" have a little bit of brown in it but not that much... I haven't tried scrapeing it off... I'll try that though thanks for the help!

Jtg^_^
supamii
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like bba to me. black beard-ed algae. fluctuating levels of co2 is supposedly the cause. I've also read in another forum that double dosing flourish excel will actually kill it. I've ordered my 2L bottle and am going to try. plus, my pressurized system is also being delivered. =). bye bye bba!

search up more information online for this or try out aquariaplants.com
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)2:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

A picture would be very helpful here.
jtg90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.09(Tue)8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have posted a picture already but my camera is out of comission at the moment. I looked up a picutre of bba and it looks like that but thepicture showed it in thicker clumps while mane is thinner, and not clumpy, but even. Thanks for all the help though and btw I ave no co2stuff or fertz or anything for plant care and I 'm not planning on getting any.(Too much of a hassle and money consumption at the moment)

Thanks,
jtg
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: