Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Any way to save the babies?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Natalie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)11:56    Post subject: Any way to save the babies? Reply with quote

This morning I noticed a bunch of baby zebras in my regular tank. I was not planning on breeding of zebra danios but they decided otherwise. As I was watching these babies (so tiny and so cute!) I saw that as soon as one of them tried to swim freely it would get suck into the filter. Right in front of my eyes 5 of them died this way... I cannot trasfer them (too small), and I am not sure I want to turn off the filter. Any ideas?...
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could either put some filter floss into the uptake, or rubberband a little piece of nylon stocking over it?
Cinder
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)17:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

ceci has some good ideas. Another that I've used is to cut up an old fish net and use a rubberband to hold it around the intake valve. That protected all my fry. I did make sure that I kept it cleaned every other day so it would have better flow.
Natalie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)20:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you, these are great ideas.

Regretfully, by the time I got home from work there was no fry left:( but will keep these ideas in mind as it seems to me my zebras are going to do IT again. when I watch them early in the morning they go crazy...

I was also wondering about platies. I have them in a separate tank and I used to have a group that was multiplying all the time. I gave hundreds away and all my friends now have my platies. now, I bought a different kind (without knowing that for breeding they had to have the same coloring) and whenever one of platies give birth the other kind eats the fry and vice versa. I read a book that said platies rarely go after their fry. Why mine do? because they are not the same type?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)5:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all fish will eat young fish, and Platties are no exception, it is not uknown for a mum to eat her own babies.

With Livebearers (Platties etc) the young are relativly large, so after a week or three, they are normally safe (Depending on the size of your other fish).

With Danios etc, they are egg scatterers, the male fertilises the eggs once they leave the female, and they are just left to fend for themselves.

The best way to raise them would be to have a seperate breeding tank, with lots of pebbles (Marbles would do) on the floor of the tank, add the parents, let them breed, then take them out, so the eggs and young can develop.

If you can't do this, then you need cover. Even with Livebearers you need places for the young to hide. The best thing would be to make piles of stones (Golf ball sized) so there are plenty of gaps (Small caves) that the fry could hide in. Heavy planting is also a good idea.

There is normally plenty of food in a community tank for fry to eat.

Hope that helps.

Bob
Natalie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! What a great idea! I am not giving up on my zebras... Today is Saturday and I was up early to see if and how the spawning happens. I actually crawled on the floor in the dark room and watched my tanks from the bottom (they are on the shelf at eye level) and I think I witnessed the process! I feel so happy! I actually saw the EGG! I also saw some fry (not sure from yesterday or today) and I saw the fish eat them:( So unable to save the fry I decided to save the EGG. I watched where it fell, grabbed the vacuum and vacuumed the whole area around that place. Not sure if I got the egg because I pulled a lot of debries but guess what? When I looked in the bucket I saw some fry that I accidently pulled with my vacuum. Anyway, I know it is silly but I am so excited. I put some food in the bucket and since I have no clue how to keep the water warm I placed it on the vent in the kitchen. It's been a few hours but I am still sitting on the floor watching the latest developments in the bucket. I wish I had a magnifying glass though... These fish better grow up fast because I cannot afford to spend so much time babysitting them. But it is soooo cooool!
Natalie
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my update. After two days there are more babies in my bucket on the floor. So I re-started my old 10G for just these little guys. Had to rob my two other tanks of everything, including the water as I do not have time for cycling. Being unsure of how to transfer these tiny babies from the bucket to the tank I used a small glass dish to catch them one by one and move to the tank. So far I moved about 15, may be 20. I can hardy see them in the water! Now I have them in two places: in old re-started tank with no filter and in the bucket on the floor with no heater... I don't want to keep my hopes up but the time will tell...
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)23:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

How fun! It's so fascinating watching babies get bigger.

For the sake of cycling, transferring water doesn't help. You'll need to take a handful of the gravel to get some bacteria over. A filter would help so much, but heaters are really important this time of year, and not that expensive.

Keep the water quality good by testing everyday since you have no filter, changing water when your levels are bad, and you'll have a much stronger chance of keeping those babies alive. (Not to mention your old fish.) If there was a lot of debris in the gravel of the old tank, it could probably use more maintenance.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: