Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Too Small?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)3:18    Post subject: Too Small? Reply with quote

Hey.

What is the minimum tank size for a male betta?

I've got a 8 litre tank (it currently has a huntsman in it) that I would like to put one in by its self. Would this be alright?

Also, I have heard that bettas can go in coldwater? If not, I don't think I'll get one because I can't find a heater small enough to fit in that tank.
And do they need a filter if I change the water frequently (like every day)? Could I just use a airstone and pump?

What other small, hardy, cold water fish would be alright in my small tank (zebra danio? white cloud mountain minnows?) I have got these wild fish in my pond, not sure what they are- some sort of livebearers I think, could be guppies, or mosquito fish. Or should I just stick with spiders Wink

Cheers
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)4:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those issues.

Personaly I would reckon any tank less than 10 gallons should be converted in a flower vases. Or be used as micro tanks for plants with a few shrimps.

Yes you can make a Betta live in a tank that size, but what's the point. It looks like a case of "Fish having" to me.

When Betta's became popular, they were often shown at club competions etc, showers would take there, prize fish to the shows, in 1 gallon "Show" tanks. For some unknown reason, this was seen as "How they were kept", and this practice has become common in some parts of the world (Mainly the US).

I know this may well upset some Betta keepers, but I would consider keeping any fish in a tank of this size to be cruel.

They are far happier, and develop into far better swimmers, if they have room to move about.

As I have already mentioned, this statement may offend, but it's what I believe.

Bob
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Bob. Get a 10g or larger. I have a betta in a 10g and it's doing much better than it was at the store in the tiny little cup; I also have a betta in a 55g. He like to prowl the tank. : )
ceci9293
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides the space issues, bettas aren't coldwater fish. On the contrary, they like their water warmer than the average tropical tank, closer to 80F.

Danios and white clouds are small, but fast swimmers that like to live in schools, so they shouldn't be confined to less than 3gal like that either.
Flame Angel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I thought.
OK, thanks for the advice.
But what about the wild fish? Has any one seen them in Australia?
Also, could I use the tank to breed feeder fish, so I have a constant supply?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: