Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Flowerhorn and Tinfoil Barbs
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species  Reply to topic   Post new topic
luckyboy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)20:40    Post subject: Flowerhorn and Tinfoil Barbs Reply with quote

Can I put an 8 inch flowerhorn in a big tank with two 6-7 inch tin foils barbs and a large pleco?
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)4:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can I put an 8 inch flowerhorn in a big tank with two 6-7 inch tin foils barbs and a large pleco?

tank specs in profile

What size is a big tank, are we talking about a 200 gallon plus tank? Tinfoils are a large (More than a foot long), active swimming shoaling fish, they need very big tanks, Plecs also need very large tanks.

I just looked in your profile, and can't see any big tanks, am I missing something? We can only go on the info you provide, in this case, I was going on what you had typed.

If I have missed something please disregard the following.

If we are talking about your 50 gallon, I would reckon you are already over stocked, at least you should be considering getting a larger tank if you want to keep the Plec.

50 gal.

3 giant danio, @ 4 inches = 12 inches of fish
2 leopard danio, @ 2 inches = 4
1 zebra danio, @ 2 inches = 2
3 red platy's, @ 3 inches = 9
1 giant pleco, Please confirm species but if it's a common Plec = 20 (See below)
1 bristlenose pleco, @ 5 inches = 5
1 female neon sword, @ 3 inches = 3
3 little neon sword fry,
9 tiny platy fry,
2 marbled cory's, @ 2 inches = 4
2 albino cory's, @ 2.5 inches = 5
2 green cory's, @ 2.5 inches = 5 (I assume these are Bronze Corys, the same as the Albino)
2 Dwarf Gourami's, @ 2 inches = 4
2 chinese algae eaters, @ 8 inches = 16
1 otto, @ 2 inches = 2
2 ramshorn snails, 1 golden snail

I haven't counted the fry (Should count at adult size) so in effect you could add 20+ more inches for these. I also haven't counted the snails.

So far I reckon that's 61 inches of fish (Not inc the fry or the Plec), add in the Plec it's 80+ (But the Plec is a large bodied Ammonia pump), who should be in a very much larger tank.

Bob
luckyboy
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was trying to keep things simple. I also updated my tank profile.

Question still remains: In a 150 gallon tank filled only with 2 large tin foil barbs and one pleco, can I add a flowerhorn?

Very simply: Are flowerhorns and tin foils barbs compatible?

Thank you.
tkipfer
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.07(Sun)18:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really sure about their compatabilty but like bob said tinfoils care a very large shoaling fish and should be kept in gourps, not in twos are threes. also when I had mine (which I sold back because I was advised to do so) they fought amoungest each other very often and are very agreesive eaters that almost always splash water. I would not recomend keeping these fish as they are better in groups and can damage other fish I.e. ramming into them during fighting.

good luck, stickman
 Forum Index > Freshwater Fish Species All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: