Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting Rid of Snails by feeding less
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates  Reply to topic   Post new topic
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)21:18    Post subject: Getting Rid of Snails by feeding less Reply with quote

Hi,
I have some (pond?) snails in my 55 gallon. Right now, I only have white cloud minnows in there, and a bunch of plants.

I've heard of people suggest feeding less to let the pest snails die by starvation. But don't snails eat plants too? Would I have to empty my tank of plants and feed the fish just enough? I'd like to get rid of the snails without the bleach solution.

Also, does anyone know if a concentrated alum dip really kills snail eggs? I don't want to use bleach dip if I don't have to.

Thanks,
Eric
Psyfalcon
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, in planted tanks the snails will often eat you plants. The advice to feed less is typical in non planted tanks where the snails typically eat wasted food. I do not know about dipping, since most of my fish eat snails.

Since you have a 55, it is an excellent size to consider a couple snail eaters such as a small shoal of YoYo loaches.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not as extreme as killing snails by starvation, it's more a case of snails will breed fast if conditions are good for them, even in a planted tank, too much fish food, will cause an exposion of snails.

Most planted tanks have a few snails, it is difficult to get rid of them completly, and if there numbers stay low, they aren't a problem munching away on the odd bit of plant or algae growing on them.

Start overfeeding the fish, and the snails say "Conditions are perfect lets mulitply".

Judging how much food to add to a tank for your fish is hard, but in my experience, if you are being plagued by snails, too much food is going into the tank. This also has the affect of increasing the bioload on the tank (Rotting food etc). Only feed your fish enough food, so it's all finished inside a minute (You need to take into account bottom dwellers etc), two or three times a day (Depending on species).

Hope that helps.

Bob
oldpro
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have pond snails in a planted tank, you will never stave them out. They will keep on eating the live and dead plants in your tank. I have never liked chemicals in my tanks, and only use them to cure, and not to kill. Getting a loach is the best option out there, next to crushing them with your fingers(do not do this with MTS, or you will need some band aids).
J.B.
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)22:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a slice or two of cucumber or squash in your tank over night, and in the morning it'll be covered with snails. Then simply remove the squash or cucumber and throw it away. You may have to continue this for several nights depending on the number snails you have.

This obviously keeps you from pouring all the rediculous "Snake Oil" products into your tank that promise to rid you of snails, and end up killing half of your fish.
Shai
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.06(Sat)23:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are pond snails they won't decimate your plants. I brought some home by accident on some plants and shortly thereafter had a population explosion. It is true that if you feed less, the population lessens and evens out.

I still have some pond snails left and once I figured out a feeding regimin, the population stabilized. They help keep the tanks clean and they can be entertaining to watch. My bettas occasionally eat snail eggs and newly hatched snails, so it all works out.
 Forum Index > Bottom Dwellers and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: