Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
TopFin HOB filter - making squirting noises
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Reply to topic   Post new topic
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)19:43    Post subject: TopFin HOB filter - making squirting noises Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Top Fin 60, power filter for a 55 gal tank. It's a HOB filter. It makes these water squirting noises, and I can't figure out what exactly is causing it. Do all HOB filters make this noise?

Things I've ruled out:
-water level is high enough.
-I've try using the flow control, and it makes that noise at full flow and low flow
-it's not the filter cartridge
-it's not the splashing sound from the water fall

It almost sounds like the impeller sometimes speeds up or something and is trying to squeeze water thru a small hole? That totally doesn't make sense, but I have no idea.

Anyone have this problem?

Thanks,
Eric
TMfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't suggest using any Topfin filter. They are of very poor quality. I would suggest a Marineland Emperor 400, Penguin 350, or a Hagen Aquaclear 428. Your fish will thank you.
fishlover888
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check if you have something stuck inside the filter. I had once a fish got into it and did have some strange sound came out of the filter.
naclh2ofly
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)5:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a TopFin 30 on my 20 and as near as I can tell it is a perfectly functional HOB... perhaps I have the only decent one produced ;^)

Check and clean the impellor and intake tube.
On the flow control knob there is an "o-ring" make sure it is still intact and the knob is seated all the way in otherwise the filter will suck air.
You might want to twist the flow control knob back and forth to make sure it is seated... I needed to do this any time I serviced/cleaned the filter when it was new(@ 7yrs ago!)

Mine would be silent if I were not injecting CO2, you should not hear any noise...

Fred
myhamster
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

My tank is pretty new, I just got it before Christmas, and the filter is new too. I've checked the impeller area, and it seems OK. I think the suggestion about sucking air might be what it is doing though. It does sound like that, but it's on and off.

Thanks!
Eric
TMfish
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying topfins don't function. I have owned them and so have many of my friends. They just don't function as well as other filters. My topfin 20 died after a few weeks and I here lots of complaints about them. One of my friends works at Petsmart, and he says stay away from them. If yours is working for you that's great.
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: