Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
metal halides in the 6500k spectrum
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
gbercume
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)21:39    Post subject: metal halides in the 6500k spectrum Reply with quote

I'm a newbie at planted tanks I've kept a reef tank and a55 gallon tank with tropical fish tetras and dwarf gouramis now I'm setting up a 220 planted tank I'm concerened about the halides I'm forced to use for plants I'm hopeing some body has used them to give me a idea how it looks I'm useing 3 175 watt 6500k bulbs but specs say they put out yellow green light the 10 k and 20 kbulbs put out white to blue my buddies tell me they are going to look like algae growing all the time gary
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)1:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the Iwaski 6500K's for the 175-250W ranges, there is a 400w 6500K version also but I seldom use 400W lights.

I use 5500K on some 1000 Watt lights as they do not make a 6500K bulb for the higher wattages

Whoever is telling they turn or otherwise cause algae in a FW tank, run from those folks, they are way out there is the land of speculation and are clueless about the mechaism of algae inducement in FW systems. Rolling Eyes

You should check out www.gregwatson.com for ferts, and consider using ADA' Aqua soil for the substrate and Tropica master grow for the traces.

That and a good CO2 system will help.
If possible, add 3-6 PC 55-65w lights and run the MH's for about 4 hours each day and the PC's for 10 hours.

More light is not better in FW tanks.

Regards,
Tom Barr
eelman
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)12:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plantbrain wrote:

Whoever is telling they turn or otherwise cause algae in a FW tank, run from those folks, they are way out there is the land of speculation and are clueless about the mechaism of algae inducement in FW systems. Rolling Eyes

he said that it would look like there was algae growing because of the yellow-green tint of the light.

also, plantbrain, you didn't really answer his question.

gbercume- you really have to see a tank with high-powered 6500K lights to know what it will look like. everyone has different standards for lights so what looks yellow to someone might look perfectly white to someone else, because its what they're used to. maybe try going to a high-end aquarium store and see if they have a tank set up with lights similar to the ones you are considering.
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)13:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

eelman wrote:

he said that it would look like there was algae growing because of the yellow-green tint of the light.

True enough.

Quote:

also, plantbrain, you didn't really answer his question.

gbercume- you really have to see a tank with high-powered 6500K lights to know what it will look like. everyone has different standards for lights so what looks yellow to someone might look perfectly white to someone else, because its what they're used to. maybe try going to a high-end aquarium store and see if they have a tank set up with lights similar to the ones you are considering.

Glad you are here then to help.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: