Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Cory upside down on bottom, having problems swimmming
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rayscopes
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)19:07    Post subject: Cory upside down on bottom, having problems swimmming Reply with quote

Cory was transferred to another tank 1 week ago and has not been very active. Today he was on the bottom upside down. I changed 25% of water and was about to net out him out because I thought he was dead and he swam away. He does not swim normally and can't stay upright on the bottom. He tips over and turns upside down because he can't control himself. Is this swim bladder disease? Should I treat with meds? Is salt O.K. or beneficial to add since he may be sensitive not having scales? Nitrites and ammonia are 0. Temp is 78F. Tank is 14 gallon and tankmates are 3 - 1 inch baby Angels and a 2 inch Pleco.
DF Bobo
Exemplars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

he should have some companions since cories are very sociable. I think it's just having difficulty adjusting to a new tank without any buddies, and the stress probably led to everything else. that's just my opinion, I'm not 100% sure.

Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)10:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a swim bladder issue, but it could be a host of other problems.

Is this a quarentine or temporary growing on tank?

Why was the Cory moved, what sort of tank was he in before?

Do you know what the Nitrate levels are?

Bob
rayscopes
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:09    Post subject: Too Late Reply with quote

I set up a new tank to put him in. As soon as I put him in he wasn't very active. I had him in another tank with a friend and his friend died the day before so he may have had something before I transferred him. I didn't measure nitrates. Thanks anyways for the help.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)5:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving fish is very stressful, they have to cope with being caught, then being put into a new enviroment.

Sorry to mention this, but it's often overlooked, but water is very important to fish, when you move a fish from one tank to another, the fish can easily go into shock, the temperature, pH, and other parameters need to be close or it can affect the fish badly. You should always take your time to get the fish used to the new tank water.

The reason I asked if the tank it is now in is a temporary growing on tank, is down to the tank mates, I know your fish are small at the moment, but three Angels will need a far larger tank than 14 gallons, I would reckon 40 gallons would be nearer the mark, but also watch out, Angels can be aggressive, especially if two of them form a pair, they will try and kill the third one.

Pleco's are a very messy fish (Ammonia pumps) and they can (Depending on species) get very large (18 inches) so need a really large tank, I would reckon 100 gallons wouldn't be wrong for a Common Plec.

And as DF pointed out Cory's really need same species company, of at least 5 fish.

Hope all goes well with your Cory.

Bob
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: