Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting and plant growth
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Reply to topic   Post new topic
rfosgategt
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)20:14    Post subject: Lighting and plant growth Reply with quote

Why is it when I leave the light off in the tank for several days my plants grow crazy, but when the lights are on they don't? They grow but it is so slow its unreal.

What is going on?

pH 6.9
nitrates 25
nitrites 0
phosphates .8ppm
ammonia 0
co2 tank
KH 9 degrees (34 ppm CO2)

like are only on for a bout 8 hours a day right now or I get a out burst of green spot algae. I swear my tank grow betters when I leave the lights off, the leaven don't get as full but the reproduction of leaven and runners is unbelievable.

any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

how odd, I just mentioned this in a previous thread! http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=40047

and I do notice a HUGE difference in plant growth when the lights are off (like ludwigia arcuata). but I'm sure plants like glosso won't do so well. I know for sure the plants are performing dark reactions, but I just didn't think plants grow that much
tommy123
Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't know any answers here, but just commenting because I have experiance the same thing. When away for 4 days over new year and left the lights of by mistake.....thinking when I came back they would be leggy...but they look better and have grwon more?
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.05(Fri)1:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are not seeing true growth, you are seeing extension, not an increase in biomass weight.

This effect only last so long before all the reserves are depleted and the plant then starts to die.

Regards,
Tom Barr
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: