Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
my new tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
philoserenus
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)19:23    Post subject: my new tank Reply with quote

hey guys!!! I've been reading up on this forum for like a mth now and I hafta admit that it is a priceless jewel! so much info on everything imaginable =)

I just started getting into aquariums only a few mths ago when my aunt bought a few guppies from a garage sale (believe it or not) for a few cents. after that I bought myself a CT betta.

I named him Pinky and he lives in a small 2.5G graveled tank with fake plants. reading up on all the crazy things about cycling scares me... T6T does a tank this small even cycle at all? if so, where do these beneficial bacteria come from? they dun grow out of mid air... I only have a heater to keep him warm, and since I change the water every 4-5 days, I dun have any other filters... (thinking of a sponge later on), but so far he seems to be quite happy and eatting well.

[random] I'm thinking that I'm gonna move into a 5.5G eventually when I feel prepared, but this is it for now. thanks for helping me out
philoserenus
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm I think I didn't really make my questions clear after rereading it a couple of times. I'll highlight them from the post

Quote:
does a tank this small even cycle at all? if so, where do these beneficial bacteria come from?

thanks guys!
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)21:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but every tank goes through the nitrogen cycle. I learned this from the Nitrogen Cycle article on this website.
Even my 1 gallon went through a cycle and needs a filter to safely keep any living creature in. The bacteria comes from the fish waste.
Fish waste---->ammonia----->nitrites------->nitrates and so on......

I just recently moved my male crowntail betta to a cycled 10G tank from that 1 gallon because it was way too small for any fish (I just learned this here too!). Click on this link to see more: http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=40327
He is happy, healthy, and even has friends to keep him company. I've also learned that plants definitely help the cycle because they live off the nitrites and nitrates.

I have also learned that cycling a tank with fish in it is not a good idea. Doing a fishless cycle is much safer for the fish. Click on "articles" on the left side of your screen and look through the information. You'll be surprised at how much you learn. I've only been fishkeeping for a short time but I've learned a lot and am glad that I will have all this knowledge when I get ready to set up another tank.

Good Luck!
lenoirj
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me also add that ammonia and nitrites are harmful, even fatal, to fish. I bought API test kits for testing pH, ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to make sure that the levels stay where they are supposed to be. Ammonia should be 0, nitrites should be 0, and nitrates should be less than 40ppm to be safe. I've learned that the pH level should be between 6.8 and 7.8 and should remain steady. Mine stays steady at 7.6. Constantly fluctuating pH is bad for the fish!

Hope this helps.
If any more experienced fishkeepers on this board see anything that I've said that's inaccurate, please, by all means, correct me!
philoserenus
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I read your posts from before too!

I never intended to use my CT as a cycle fish... it never even cam across my head that such a tiny tank would even cycle... well I dun think I will be able to grab any new plants for my CT until a little later.

I'm thinking of java ferns, but I'm worried that I dun have enough lighting for it since I'm only using my desk lamp to light my tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: