Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site
Tropical Fish Forums
Aquarium fishkeeping around the world!

ChatChat  HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
good bottom feeders
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Reply to topic   Post new topic
BigCiX
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)17:30    Post subject: good bottom feeders Reply with quote

I'm looking at adding two bottom feeders to do a little cleaning between the gravel. what is the best fish for that purpose?
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm satisfied with the job my clown pleco does. For the smallest of the pleco species,he does a great job. He doesn't bother other fish like siamese algae eaters are capable of. My Ottos are great plant and glass cleaners.
Bob
Moderators

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)17:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's best to keep fish you like, rather than adding fish to solve a problem that is easily solved by other means.

For example don't get Loaches to eat snails, when feeding a little less food (Which is better for the fish, and tank in the long run) will do the job for you.

If it's an algae problem sort the reason behind the algae, rather than get a fish you don't actually want.

The best way to clean gravel is to use a syphon gravel cleaner, when you do your weekly water changes.

If you like Loaches, algae eaters etc (If you have the room), by all means get some.

What sort of issue do you have with your gravel, is it general fish waste or is it from dying plants etc ?

Bob
BigCiX
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not an algae problem. I have a baby oscar & jack dempsey (each about an 1 1/2 inch) living in a 55g. both of them are sloppy eaters. I had them for about a week & my water is getting cloudy
FiftyCalibre
Advisors

PostPosted: 2007.01.02(Tue)22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to do some water changes. What filtration do u have?

I hope you know you will have to get a much bigger tank for them.

What size gravel do you have?

The problem is, when your fish grow a bit larger, most bottom dwllers will be food.
BigCiX
New Members

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)1:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

FiftyCalibre wrote:
You might want to do some water changes. What filtration do u have?

I hope you know you will have to get a much bigger tank for them.

What size gravel do you have?

The problem is, when your fish grow a bit larger, most bottom dwllers will be food.

I thought about that too. I guess I'll do a water change tomorrow. I have time. thanks fellas!!
fishy me
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could try shrimp (cherry, amano, glass/ghost).They will eat algae and clean up the left over food, but, like said before, they will become snacks for the fish once they can fit them into their mouths.
Kit-Kat
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.03(Wed)13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a BN pleco or a bushy nose pleco or a clown pleco, would be good, but, I don't know if they would fit... otherwise, ottos are very nice for planted tanks,
piranha
Regulars

PostPosted: 2007.01.04(Thu)20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing that it is not an algae problem and that all you need is a bottom feeder to clean up any excess food left by the other inhabitants, a clown pleco is probably a best choice. Even if you do your water changes regularly it is always a plus to have a clown pleco as your bottom feeder. I own one not for its' beauty, although they have a nice color pattern,but for the job they do well. Algae doesn't mean there is a problem. It is a good thing when kept in check. Plecos and ottos do just that.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Reply to topic   Post new topic
Jump to: